Climate Change......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Who knows, it’s undiscovered..😉
There are areas of huge fields though that are just too expensive to tap into. Antarctica for instance I believe they predict would cost $100 per barrel just to get it
Don’t forget the Alberta tar sand.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
1% of the world's rivers are responsible for 80% of the plastic pollution in the oceans. These rivers are in S.America, Africa and Asia - poorer countries with a lot less control over their environments. That's a good example of the problems we face. The world is very divided in the efforts that are being made to clean up the planet. Learned that on Euronews NOW Green Week.

TobyC

Patriot
“Under the Trump administration, our country’s air is the cleanest ever recorded, our water has never been safer to drink, and we lead the world in overall GHG-emissions reductions . . . When it comes to intelligent environmental regulation, instead of blaming the Trump administration for their problems, perhaps [California] should look to it for guidance,” EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler writes in National Review.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
“Under the Trump administration, our country’s air is the cleanest ever recorded, our water has never been safer to drink, and we lead the world in overall GHG-emissions reductions . . . When it comes to intelligent environmental regulation, instead of blaming the Trump administration for their problems, perhaps [California] should look to it for guidance,” EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler writes in National Review.
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

1984 was not supposed to be an instruction manual.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Andrew Wheeler = Trump appointee and former lobbyist for Murray Coal. Hmm, not very convincing, but very self-serving.

R181

Grumpy old man
As the little Irish shop keeper in Cork said to me, "that's a good one. Do you know another?"

Bob

D

Deleted member 476

Don’t forget the Alberta tar sand.
You mean Canada's Oilsands? The resource is technically known as bituminous sands because bitumen, a heavy petroleum product, is mixed with the sand. The resource contains zero tar.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 476

You are technically correct but going back to the early 1970s, at least, it had been call Tar Sands by most people but Oil Sands sounds so much cleaner.
Bob
There’s history with both terms, but the world’s first large-scale commercial operation, that happened to be in Alberta was called the Great Canadian Oil Sands Company. The predecessor to what's called Suncor today, founded in the 1960s. The only people who use the word "Tar sands" to describe it in 2020, is The Eco-Terrorist opponents who only reference the environmental downsides of the resource.

R181

Grumpy old man
There’s history with both terms, but the world’s first large-scale commercial operation, that happened to be in Alberta was called the Great Canadian Oil Sands Company. The predecessor to what's called Suncor today, founded in the 1960s. The only people who use the word "Tar sands" to describe it in 2020, is The Eco-Terrorist opponents who only reference the environmental downsides of the resource.
One of the first uses for it was by indigenous peoples who used it to caulk their birch bark canoes. A substance like that is hardly what people would imagine as oil with some sand in it.

Like I said it sounds so much cleaner to call it Oil Sands. I'm an old fart who grew up knowing it as the Tar Sands so Eco-Terrorists are not the only ones who call it the Tars Sands today. It is what it is no matter what you call it.

Bob

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
One of the first uses for it was by indigenous peoples who used it to caulk their birch bark canoes. A substance like that is hardly what people would imagine as oil with some sand in it.

Like I said it sounds so much cleaner to call it Oil Sands. I'm an old fart who grew up knowing it as the Tar Sands so Eco-Terrorists are not the only ones who call it the Tars Sands today. It is what it is no matter what you call it.

Bob
Bob, thanks for your clarification. I too am an old fart of 73 and no Eco-terrorist. When I came to Canada 54 years ago the oil sands were referred to as tar sands In general parlance. Ironically, GCOS and Suncor were clients of mine back in the day when I was working. Here are 2 momentos that sit on my desk:
650A4848-B65D-4F1A-8DB4-07ACB27594D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.