Climate Change......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yup, they definitely used to think that.
I was doing a level geography in the late eighties.
Probably from books from the seventies.
It was a discussion point.

When we went to uni they told us to forget everything we had learnt as it was all out of date.

R181

Grumpy old man
Here we are 50 years on and things have changed as more information has been added to climate change/global warming issue. The changes have not been to the good due to the general intransigence of world leaders to actually do something concrete about it. There is no doubt climate is ever changing just as there is little doubt man has had a hand in accelerating the process. It might have been a good idea if man had done something to slow the process down beginning half a century ago when alarm bells first started ringing. By that I mean do something meaningful in the aspects of climate change that we have within our power to control. All that really happened was fiddling while Rome burnt instead of getting on with the grunt in a globally coordinated fashion.

Bob

Last edited:

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
The world leaders are simply unfit for the task of understanding and implementing science. What has to be done is radical and has to be understood in the context of the science and technology involved. Not only will the essential changes be highly unpopular - stop eating large quantities of meat, stop using aeroplanes for tourism and unnecessary commercial travel, convert your cars to electric, eat locally and in season and stop importing completely unnecessary stuff like kiwi fruits - but the world leaders are mostly too corrupt and too unscientific in their training. In many cases leaders are simply army generals or leaders of militia. Asking these guys to implement complex and unpopular changes is like asking a cat to read the Origin of Species. The public backlash will be absolutely huge - look at the fuss about wearing masks and closing restaurants. Multiply that by n where n is a very large number. Frankly it's not going to happen anytime soon, and beyond soon its too late.

Wayne

Forum Sod
The world leaders are simply unfit for the task of understanding and implementing science. What has to be done is radical and has to be understood in the context of the science and technology involved. Not only will the essential changes be highly unpopular - stop eating large quantities of meat, stop using aeroplanes for tourism and unnecessary commercial travel, convert your cars to electric, eat locally and in season and stop importing completely unnecessary stuff like kiwi fruits - but the world leaders are mostly too corrupt and too unscientific in their training. In many cases leaders are simply army generals or leaders of militia. Asking these guys to implement complex and unpopular changes is like asking a cat to read the Origin of Species. The public backlash will be absolutely huge - look at the fuss about wearing masks and closing restaurants. Multiply that by n where n is a very large number. Frankly it's not going to happen anytime soon, and beyond soon its too late.
Kill me now.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Civilizations over the past 6,000 years have unfailingly squandered their futures through acts of colossal stupidity and hubris. We are probably not an exception. The worse it gets, the more the people will lie to themselves and the more they will want to be lied to. For many reality is often too painful to confront; they would rather retreat into what anthropologists call “crisis cults,” which promise the return of a lost world through magical beliefs.

“The most significant characteristic of modern civilization is the sacrifice of the future for the present,” philosopher and psychologist William James wrote. You can either believe the scientific consensus or believe dissenting scientists. I hope the few in the latter category are correct but I suspect those that predict that cities across the globe, including London, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, Mumbai, Lagos, Copenhagen, New Orleans, San Francisco, Savannah, Ga., and New York, will become modern-day versions of Atlantis, along with countries such as Bangladesh and the Marshall Islands and large parts of New Zealand and Australia, are correct, but I would be very happy if this was wrong. There are 90 coastal cities in the U.S. that endure chronic flooding, a number that is expected to double in the next two decades. It is difficult to see how many National economies will not go into tailspins as wider and wider parts of the globe suffer catastrophic systems breakdown. Of course Covid19 may itself cause economic tailspins, at least in the west or maybe even positive change, who knows, but most of the research I have scanned is far from rosy and if anything we are not getting a candid picture of what is coming down the track!.

Status
Not open for further replies.