Cleaning razors with an electric toothbrush?

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by sev-8, May 17, 2019.

1. sev-8

sev-8 Guru

So I've read a hundred times about cleaning razors with soapy water and a toothbrush, but I always have problems getting the (short) ends clean because the manual toothbrush I use splays and doesn't brush the soap residue away well.

Any reason why I shouldn't use an old electric toothbrush head? Was thinking that the rotating action might be better at cleaning these tough spots but wouldn't want to damage the plating

2. FSword

FSword Über Member

I wouldn't use one for the reason you mentioned in the end of your post: damaging the plating. Perhaps you won't but the electric toothbrush is generally more harsh than the normal one. Personally I prefer leaving difficult spots with small leftovers (which are usually not even visible unless from close inspection) rather than risking damaging the plating. What matters for me is to keep the razor clean, now if it's 95% shiny instead of 100% I don't mind.

3. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

If an electric tooth brush is going to damage chrome plating or stainless steel what on earth would it do to tooth enamel???

Blademonkey and TobyC like this.
  4. sev-8

sev-8 Guru

I feel like it shouldn't cause problems unless the plating is already damaged, but wanted to check just to be sure

5. FSword

FSword Über Member

Well depends how the brush is used. I don't think anybody recommends to push it hard against the teeth. In any case, damaging the plating doesn't mean it's gonna take it off. It could very well just leave small marks or make it less shiny. In the end it's another case of YMMV. If you feel like doing it go ahead; I prefer not to.

6. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

My Dentist likes soft bristle brushes - I have brought in electric tooth brushes for his approval before using.

Most recommend NOT using a tooth brush on polished or plated razors. Most recommend NOT using a "gritty" tooth paste. For light general cleaning, I would err on the side of caution and forget "power tools".

7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

The electric toothbrush is overkill in my opinion. Not only is there a risk of damaging the plating on the razor but there is no reason that you can't get rid of "soap residue" with the manual toothbrush, a good flushing of water and a nice polishing with a soft cloth. I use an electric toothbrush but no the ones that spin in a circle. The sonic care ones merely vibrate. My dentist has never recommended using one of those rotary brushes. And she also has me using a non-abrasive toothpaste. She says that any toothpaste that has the word "whitening" on it means it has strong abrasives used to scratch away stains and such. And it also scratches away your gums and enamel. My razors shine up very nicely with a regular toothbrush. And if I really want to go for that lustrous shine, I use Blue Magic metal polish.

8. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

I stick my razors in the dishwasher whenever I change blades. Seems to do the trick. I haven't noticed any degradation of the plating.

sɐǝɹpu∀ and p.b like this.
  9. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Scrapping out delicate, precious razors over stubble is a lot more abrasive than the soft, gum friendly nylon bristles on a toothbrush. Granted I wouldn't use toothpaste but what does everything think Brasso / metal polish is?

Nisse and Steve Bowles like this.
  10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Brasso is “low abrasive”. And your stubble doesn’t touch your razor as much as your blade. And if you shave properly, the “no pressure” technique eliminates the concern you raise about stubble messing with a razor’s finish.

11. sev-8

sev-8 Guru

Well, seems like there's as much agreement on this as anything else on this forum :laugh: . I might try it on a razor that I'm not attached to and see what happens.

FSword and MntnMan62 like this.
  12. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Congratulations on having such a perfect technique that you can hold the razor 0.00001mm from the skin :okay::)

13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

C'mon. Now this is getting silly. I'm sorry but razor stubble is not going to mess with the plating on your razor more than the bristles on a toothbrush that is being used to clean the razor and therefore a fair amount of pressure is applied. Oh, and my technique is perfect such that I can hold the razor 0.0000001 mm from the skin. Clearly I jest. I think we've beaten this into the ground. :wink:

Rowlers and p.b like this.
  14. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

For what its worth, IMO, if a "toothbrush clean" damages a razor, then the razor is not fit for purpose anyway...

15. shadowman12

shadowman12 Über Member

I clean my safety razors as follows:
    1. Put them in warm water with a few drops of mild dishwasher (Dreft for example)
    2. Rinse them properly
    3. Make a mixture of warm water and vinegar, and put them in there for 15 - 20 minutes. The ratio warm water : vinegar is 8:1.
    4. Rinse and store the razors.
    If I do this once a week there is no need to for toothbrush.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice