Cleaning Brass With Ketchup

nickc

Über Member
After buying a Karve I have been looking into ways to clean it without using abrasives or speciality cleaners.
Many people recommend toothpaste or ketchup. I decided to try ketchup first with some brass weights before risking the Karve.
The first weight is untreated and shows the original patina, the two on the right are after they were coated in ketchup for roughly 45 mins, washed clean and dried.

brass2.jpg

Last edited:

vartik

Head shaver
When I was cleaning my brass Karve, I soaked it in the lemon juice and salt solution first (for about 1 hour), and then some whitening toothpaste with toothbrush. Looked really nice afterwards without any problems. Pity that I didn't make any before / after pictures.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
When I was cleaning my brass Karve, I soaked it in the lemon juice and salt solution first (for about 1 hour), and then some whitening toothpaste with toothbrush. Looked really nice afterwards without any problems. Pity that I didn't make any before / after pictures.
What a faff. Glad I am not down that particular rabbit hole. :D

Wayne

Forum Sod
Ooo mate, stop faffing with ketchup an buy some Brasso, not only is it 58 mins quicker it is shinier and it lasts longer. I used to use it on my charcoal which I bought used, it was virtually Green when I recieved it, 10 minutes later it was gleaming. A bit of Brasso and a Microfibre is all you need.

nickc

Über Member
Ooo mate, stop faffing with ketchup an buy some Brasso, not only is it 58 mins quicker it is shinier and it lasts longer. I used to use it on my charcoal which I bought used, it was virtually Green when I recieved it, 10 minutes later it was gleaming. A bit of Brasso and a Microfibre is all you need.
Just a bit of fun trying to use items I had around the house e.g ketchup and toothpaste. :facepalm:

AlphaShaving

Alpha Shaving Works Owner
Vendor
Try this...

Couple of teaspoons of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of table salt. Dissolve salt in juice. Soak into clean cloth, wipe gently.