Chromebook or Laptop?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I have always liked the idea of Chromebooks. Do you find docs, sheets, and slides integrate smoothly with Word, Excel and Powerpoint & vice versa?
Yeah, they work pretty well. Simple spreadsheets and docs are no issue. It's only complicated files with lots of formatting that sometimes look odd...

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
If laptop is still a suitable option and your budget is tight, an X series Thinkpad is a rather good alternative (you can find some refurbished x200 models for less than £100 shipped, on eBay UK). They usually come with Win10 installed and additionally you can install a Linux OS (like Mint or MX for instance) in dual boot. The downside is that they are thicker and heavier than a basic Chromebook (but they would likely last longer).

Last edited:

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
Yeah, they work pretty well. Simple spreadsheets and docs are no issue. It's only complicated files with lots of formatting that sometimes look odd...
Cheers @Rowlers - I've got some work to do for a client, all Word docs. Going to experiment using Google docs in my Drive account. Not used it before, but will have a mooch on Youtube for some tutorials.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
If laptop is still an suitable option and your budget is tight, an X series Thinkpad is a rather good alternative (you can find some refurbished x200 models for less than £100 shipped, on eBay UK). They usually come with Win10 installed and additionally you can install a Linux OS (like Mint or MX for instance) in dual boot. The downside is that they are thicker and heavier than a basic Chromebook (but they would likely last longer).
That's for that suggestion, I've had a quick look and some of the refurbished ones have some decent memory and SSD upgrades. Will definitely consider one.

Reactions: Fox

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
That's for that suggestion, I've had a quick look and some of the refurbished ones have some decent memory and SSD upgrades. Will definitely consider one.
Those machines are virtually indestructible (mines are more than 10 years old) and some models are very upgradable (T440 or 430).
If you are interested in buying a Thinkpad:
The reddit forum/board is also a good place to start:

Fox

Wickham Soap Co.
Cheers @Rowlers - I've got some work to do for a client, all Word docs. Going to experiment using Google docs in my Drive account. Not used it before, but will have a mooch on Youtube for some tutorials.
There are some great tuts out there. I was up and running with the whole suite after a weekend.

One of the great features of Google docs. You can convert PDF and Photo/Image files to text really easy. Bring the image or pdf into drive. Then open the file as a Document and that is it. All rather quick and extremely accurate. This feature has saved me a huge amount of time working on files.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
There are some great tuts out there. I was up and running with the whole suite after a weekend.

One of the great features of Google docs. You can convert PDF and Photo/Image files to text really easy. Bring the image or pdf into drive. Then open the file as a Document and that is it. All rather quick and extremely accurate. This feature has saved me a huge amount of time working on files.

Thank you @Fox - I've been having a play over the weekend. Maybe the next step is buying a Chromebook!

I found this video really helpful. For anyone else thinking of getting a Chromebook and/or getting familiar with Drive/Docs - here's the link: