Cheap Prescription Spectacles

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by BJS, Dec 21, 2018.

1. BJS

BJS Actual Member

I'm am old git on a fixed income in need of a new pair of prescription glasses and I qualify for free Eye tests and glasses voucher.
    The last pair I got from my local optometrist, but at the time, I didn't realise he was going to charge me £260 for a new sight prescription and lenses and frames.
    I have been told that I can get the free Eye test prescription and then buy cheaper lenses and frames online!
    Has anyone had any experience doing this, or can offer any advise?
    Many thanks
    Brian

2. Burry

Burry Forum GOD!

I've bought reading glasses online and it was perfect. Really easy and quick and cheap. I think single vision lenses are pretty easy to do online. The frames don't fit quite as perfectly as ones I've tried on on shops but good enough. Also, you can tell the frames I bought are cheap, but then they cost very little so I was very happy.
    I'm reluctant to buy my varifocals online as I think getting the inter pupil distance is very important with these and that's tricky when you buy online.

BJS likes this.
  3. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

My Mrs has bought some varifocals from glasses-direct.co.uk.
    First class from start to finish and a quarter of the price of her last pair.

BJS likes this.
  4. BJS

BJS Actual Member

Yeah, I only need single vision lenses, so that's great news..

5. BJS

BJS Actual Member

Thanks for that I will check them out..

6. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

BJS likes this.
  7. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Single vision can be bought from most local pharmacies. We sell ours for £4.99. Cheap and do the job.

BJS likes this.
  8. BJS

BJS Actual Member

I was just looking on their website. There is a couple I like on there and some on another site.
    Thanks for the info, it's nice knowing if people had good or bad experience with them ..

Northam Saint likes this.
  9. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

They have always delivered within the set time periods. I would say though if you follow the tracked build process they do seem to hang around at various stages.

You’ll need someone to help as well with the PD measurement. That’s the distance pupil to pupil and not necessarily part of the eye test. They normally measure that in the opticians after you choose your frames. Easy enough though.

BJS likes this.
  10. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

IIRC, I measured the Mrs' by taking a photo with a credit card on here forehead.

BJS and Northam Saint like this.
  11. Cristobal

Cristobal Forum GOD!

Sorry for my English, I do not remember all the technical terms.
    I have had good experience with Mr. Spex in Germany: a pair for myopia and later a pair of varifocals. For the PD measurements for the varifocals, I took close up photos (frame and eyes) of myself wearing the glasses intended to buy (you have to order sample frames that interest you, when sent back to Germany, they reimburse the deposit); since they have the frame, opticians can measure width and height of pupils of the eye from the frame. The whole process took about 3 or 4 weeks for the varifocals, cost about £145, 2 years ago. For myopia it took about 2 weeks, since I already knew the PD (an optician gave it to me once), and cost about £50, 3 years ago. Both frames were by Mr. Spex own brands (Mr. Spex and Michalsky), likely made in Asia, but with the German quality control. I wear the varifocals daily, they have barely aged. Communication by email with the representative was quite good and responsive; as long as opticians could make precise measurements, the process went smooth.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    BJS likes this.
  12. BJS

BJS Actual Member

Good advice thanks..

Northam Saint likes this.
  13. BJS

BJS Actual Member

Thank you for the info..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice