Cheap coffee making recommendations

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Since lockdown started, I've cut back on getting a cappuccino from the local coffee shops and have mostly been drinking slightly boring instant coffee. I only drink 3-5 cups a week and have started looking at better (but cheap) ways to make coffee. Friends have recommended various pod systems while I like the look of an Aeropress maybe, but would need a way to store the ground coffee over a couple of months.

Any recommendations from the community would be welcome. I guess an initial cost of entry under £60 would be ideal

wintoid

Out of control
Pact give away a free V60 under certain circumstances. I seem to recall you can subscribe, take one bag, and then cancel, and it gets you a V60 and papers.

Then you could spend a little on a hand grinder, perhaps a Rhino or something.

Aeropress is nice too, and the Clever Coffee Dripper is probably the easiest thing to use of them all.

I've sold my espresso machine some time ago and now survive with V60, Kalita Wave and Aeropress mostly.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Since lockdown started, I've cut back on getting a cappuccino from the local coffee shops and have mostly been drinking slightly boring instant coffee. I only drink 3-5 cups a week and have started looking at better (but cheap) ways to make coffee. Friends have recommended various pod systems while I like the look of an Aeropress maybe, but would need a way to store the ground coffee over a couple of months.

Any recommendations from the community would be welcome. I guess an initial cost of entry under £60 would be ideal

We use a Nespresso machine. If you go that way DO NOT use anything other than aluminium pods. Cheap compatible plastic pods do not work. Even Taylors Coffee pods are rubbish in compariso. Nespresso are good as well, they send you, or if you go to a Nespresso boutiqu, a bag, free post too. You can send back any aluminium pods by any maker. The aluminium is melted down and reused, the ground are made in to logs for burning. Coffee is pretty good, no mess too.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I'm an Aeropress fan, total freedom to use the coffee that you like, it's portable and with a re-usable steel filter there's no waste.

I usually buy a 1kg bag from Rave Coffee it usually lasts a month / six weeks and to me tastes just as good when the bag's getting low.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Pact give away a free V60 under certain circumstances. I seem to recall you can subscribe, take one bag, and then cancel, and it gets you a V60 and papers.

Then you could spend a little on a hand grinder, perhaps a Rhino or something.

Aeropress is nice too, and the Clever Coffee Dripper is probably the easiest thing to use of them all.

I've sold my espresso machine some time ago and now survive with V60, Kalita Wave and Aeropress mostly.
The thing that's holding me back from this is storing the ground coffee (or beans). How would you store coffee that you're not planning to use for a while?

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
How would you store coffee that you're not planning to use for a while?
In your preferred airtight container. Yes, it's better when it's totally fresh, but even supermarket pre-packaged ground coffee is far better than instant and who knows how long that's been on the shelves? Same with coffee pods.

wintoid

Out of control
Unroasted green beans last several years
Roasted beans last 1-2 months
Ground coffee is off within about 20 minutes of exposure to air

So grinding your own beans is a good way to make it last longer. The coffee I buy (usually from Hasbean in my case) comes in resealable bags. I've usually drunk it before it goes off.

wintoid

Out of control
P.S. you can freeze roasted beans, so long as it's airtight in the freezer, and you're careful when you bring them back up to room temperature (condensation is a problem, apparently).

junipertar

Legendary Member
I just drink pure black filter coffee, you'd easily be set with a filter coffee machine for less than 60 quid but if you want to be able to do cappuccinos and lattes this wouldn't be the best way to go.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I just drink pure black filter coffee, you'd easily be set with a filter coffee machine for less than 60 quid but if you want to be able to do cappuccinos and lattes this wouldn't be the best way to go.
Never really gotten on with filter coffee, though my main experience of it is from the US in hotels where it's been sitting for a while

Reactions: p.b

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
The thing that's holding me back from this is storing the ground coffee (or beans). How would you store coffee that you're not planning to use for a while?
@wintoid is pretty accurate on "shelf life for coffee" with his comments.

Quit buying the "large economy size". Proper storage of coffee in dark air tight containers will extend shelf life by days to even possibly a few weeks.

karlc

Ive been using a Bialetti 3 cup moka pot ever since my Au Pair ventures to Italy. Makes a strong coffee but Im kinda looking for something a bit stronger now

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I have an Aeropress and don't think it produce coffee that is any better than my Cafetière. For less than £60, I'd just get a nice Cafetière and buy some decent pre-ground coffee... I'd assume most roasters would grind it to your requirements.
There are lots of cheap Espresso machines available too, but that brings more complication...
In fact, it's time for a brew...

les24preludes

Legendary Member
I originally bought all the gear - Gaggia Classic, big industrial Mazzer grinder and all the bits and pieces. My Gaggia failed and I never fixed it. Instead I've been using these:
- Kalita Wave (fan shaped papers)
- Mellitta - papers available from Waitrose
- Aeropress

Not much to choose between them. Kalita is no different from the Mellitta, which is just a big black plastic funnel. Both have more of the sharper flavour notes. You have to stand over both and drip hot water, so in terms of ease of use I give it to the Aeropress, which is what I use all the time now. Maybe a little smoother, certainly nice.

I also have a Lavazza A Modo Mio which I use just for decaf with milk. Very quick and nice tasting. 7.5g pods rather than Nespresso 5g pods, plus it was invented by the same guy after the Nespresso system came out, so he modded it for the better. Pods are cheaper too. I buy a big £60 box of pods which lasts for months and months.

I only drink decaf and since I have a grinder I use Waitrose Peru beans. Nice enough and very cheap. They do a ground version too.