Cella

D

Deleted member 476

Nishy, enjoy the first half of the tub. Its a good cheap soap, but doesn't age well.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Nishy, enjoy the first half of the tub. Its a good cheap soap, but doesn't age well.
Is this the case with the vege option? Read earlier it may be changing formulation? Will have to use it exclusively

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
...touch wood, I have not had a problem with Cella going off. I have two blocks sitting at the bottom of a cupboard and have nearly finished the first block which is now several years old. They are wrapped in shrink wrap only. I am careful not to touch the soap when chopping pieces off and wrap again immediately. So far so good. I also have two blocks of Vitos Red, again no problems with this going off either. Both excellent soaps and the best one is whatever one I am currently using...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Scooped some Cella (tallow formulation) from the tub into my lathering bowl. Used a stiff Omega boar to whip up some lather. Blackbird being one of my favourite razors was the weapon of choice seating a Gillette Nacet. No issues with cushion or slickness or scent. But we knew that already, happy days :)
One question, does the aftershave have the same scent as the soap and what are shavers opinions of the stuff.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Still enjoying my Cella, used just over a quarter of the tub. The initial cherry/marzipan scent has slightly faded to more of the base ingredient scent. Other soaps require less work to be of a suitable level of cushion & slickness for myself, however for its price I can't complain, as I'm not working it for a long time to achieve acceptable lather.

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
Cella is definitely a good performer. Hate the scent though.

Arko has the scent and similar performance, so give that a try too :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Cella is definitely a good performer. Hate the scent though.

Arko has the scent and similar performance, so give that a try too :)
Somehow I don't mind marzipan (Cella) but urinal sticks (Arko) is like being stuck in a lift with someone who has crapped themselves. Yes I've been there. Ok a slight exaggeration but you get my drift, IMO of course.

R181

Grumpy old man
Arko is about the least expensive shaving soap I have tried and it still wows me every time I use it. I do not mind it's heavy industrial lemon scent, means clean and fresh to me. For me it's performance is over the top considering how inexpensive it is.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Arko is about the least expensive shaving soap I have tried and it still wows me every time I use it. I do not mind it's heavy industrial lemon scent, means clean and fresh to me. For me it's performance is over the top considering how inexpensive it is.

Bob
To be fair I should have clarified that the scent is the only issue I have with Arko, performance is decent.

R181

Grumpy old man
To be fair I should have clarified that the scent is the only issue I have with Arko, performance is decent.
Oh, I'd go farther than saying it's performance was just decent. It ruined from paying for expensive soaps like MdC.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Oh, I'd go farther than saying it's performance was just decent. It ruined from paying for expensive soaps like MdC.

Bob
Wow I must try it again, MdC IMO is much better. Less product to create the denser lather, and doesn't dry my skin post shave. A case of YMMV perhaps.

R181

Grumpy old man
Wow I must try it again, MdC IMO is much better. Less product to create the denser lather, and doesn't dry my skin post shave. A case of YMMV perhaps.
Certainly is a case of ymmv. I am not saying that MdC is not better but I don't see the price difference is worth paying personally. I do not have a problem with Arko drying my skin out post shave as others may well do considering people's different skin needs. The MdC may take less product to produce a lather but then again I wonder if you bought the same amount of Arko as the cost of one MdC which would last longer?

On a quick check, I see I can buy 24 Arko shave sticks with free delivery for $48 US giving me 1800 grams of Arko. If I bought the least expensive MdC, would cost me a minimum of $49 US plus shipping for 200 grams. I am finding it very hard to believe that 200 grams of MdC would outlast 1.8 kilos of Arko. I guess anything is possible though.

Bob