Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Okay chaps, I need your help. This morning I tried the CF lime shaving cream I recently acquired after reading many glowing reports on CF creams in general, but i’m disappointed with the shave I had with it. I lather on my face and used the same amount of CF cream as I do with my other creams, mostly TOBS and ztrumper, but I found the lather thin and lacking slickness. Moreover, I had to reload my brush after the first and second lathers, but the resulting lather was still thin and not slick. After the shave my skin felt tight and irritated, something I never experience with my other creams. Even as I write this thread my face feels irritated and that’s after giving it a good post-shave wash followed by a liberal application of one of my usual aftershave splashes. I used the same temperature water and lathering technique I’ve used for years, so I’m very puzzled by the performance of the CF cream. I’ve been shaving for over 50 years and I was looking forward to using a CF cream for the first time. Needles to say, I am very disappointed.

D

Deleted member 1881

Ok, so bear in mind that CF is not the slickest cream.

Bear in mind also that you have to treat it like a soap not a cream. Spend more time hydrating it. It takes more water than you think. But add it slowly.

In my mind the CF worths only for the scent. It is way too expensive and not a better performer than Maca Root or SJOL that I have.

Give it a try with bowl lathering and keep adding water carefully and mixed it good. You may get the result that you want but don't expect something special on slickness.

I don't want to mention what soaps you would have bought with the money that costs CF...

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Randy, thanks very much for your insights. Fortunately, I bought just a very small container of the shaving cream, so I’m not out of pocket very much. I’ll follow your guidelines before making a final decision, but as you point out it is horribly expensive. Since I get excellent shaves from TOBS, Trumper, Maca Root and other far less expensive creams I doubt that I’ll be coughing up Can$60 for a large tub of CF cream any time soon.

D

Deleted member 1881

Randy, thanks very much for your insights. Fortunately, I bought just a very small container of the shaving cream, so I’m not out of pocket very much. I’ll follow your guidelines before making a final decision, but as you point out it is horribly expensive. Since I get excellent shaves from TOBS, Trumper, Maca Root and other far less expensive creams I doubt that I’ll be coughing up Can$60 for a large tub of CF cream any time soon.

Of course! Well written! These creams you have are top performers.

The Maca Root has one of the best residual slickness. Check if you want some cheap Arko Creams. Synthetic scents, not near as CF, but can't blame the performance!

PS the Castle Forbes in Greece costs 31 euros.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
CF is very concentrated IMO, so a little goes a long way. Definitely needs a lot of water when loading, more than many other creams I own. I found limes slightly irritating and too akin to Starbursts or Opal fruit. Lavender was my preferred choice and also less drying post shave, perhaps due to the nature of the EO.

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Tried both CF Lime & Lavender and while I found the scents top notch, especially the Lime, performance fell short of expectations. Perhaps it was my lathering technique but I found the lather from both a bit thin and lacking glide, slickness, etc. Both Body Shop Maca Root and Hawkins & Brimble out perform it for me.

D

Deleted member 1881

Tried both CF Lime & Lavender and while I found the scents top notch, especially the Lime, performance fell short of expectations. Perhaps it was my lathering technique but I found the lather from both a bit thin and lacking glide, slickness, etc. Both Body Shop Maca Root and Hawkins & Brimble out perform it for me.

It wasn't your lathering technique... But yes the scents are really top class. But I want a slick protective creamy lather.. So no. CF is not for me.

But why so ridiculously expensive?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
CF Lime is , by far, ( for me ) the best lime scented shaving option I have found to date........ but, yes, it is expensive and also it is not a cream. It is a croap. I am coming to the end of the tub having used it well and shared it as well. Will I replace it? No , I do not think I will.

D

Deleted member 1881

CF Lime is , by far, ( for me ) the best lime scented shaving option I have found to date........ but, yes, it is expensive and also it is not a cream. It is a croap. I am coming to the end of the tub having used it well and shared it as well. Will I replace it? No , I do not think I will.
Because of the performance or the price?

D

Deleted member 1881

I cannot agree more.

The croap is not my preference too. You don't know exactly how to treat it. I load straight from the puck but...

Generally I like tallow soaps too but I can't say no to a Varesino or PAA..

As for the Wickham, I don't say anything more. People would think that Darron @Fox pays me to say good things about his soaps and I don't want that! :)

Ljbedinboro

Okay chaps, I need your help. This morning I tried the CF lime shaving cream I recently acquired after reading many glowing reports on CF creams in general, but i’m disappointed with the shave I had with it. I lather on my face and used the same amount of CF cream as I do with my other creams, mostly TOBS and ztrumper, but I found the lather thin and lacking slickness. Moreover, I had to reload my brush after the first and second lathers, but the resulting lather was still thin and not slick. After the shave my skin felt tight and irritated, something I never experience with my other creams. Even as I write this thread my face feels irritated and that’s after giving it a good post-shave wash followed by a liberal application of one of my usual aftershave splashes. I used the same temperature water and lathering technique I’ve used for years, so I’m very puzzled by the performance of the CF cream. I’ve been shaving for over 50 years and I was looking forward to using a CF cream for the first time. Needles to say, I am very disappointed.
I have to agree with you on the Castle Forbes Cream. It was the first cream I ever bought and used it quite a lot. It wasn't until I bought other creams/soaps like TOBS, wickhams, Stirling, Extro that I realised how thin the lather was by comparison. I also developed some skin irritation whilst using the CF Lime Cream. Very overrated in my honest opinion and overpriced. There are others out there that perform far better for much less money. I can't see past Wickhams, Stirling and Extro. (just my opinion)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 1881

Did you say Extro huh?

Give me some further info please, because I saw them, but didn't care much..

No, wait; did I just try to make you an enabler???!