Can other payment methods than PayPal be used on the BST as a seller?

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
So this is NOT down to people leaving comments in the box? Is that right?

Correct yes, it was related to me starting on a debt management plan. Can't use PayPal again until that has been paid. However, I would also say that that quite a few comments were left when people paid and folks have ended up losing their accounts because of it, so it does bear thinking about.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Sorry to hear of your troubles with PP. Sadly it's the Only way I'll ever pay or receive money online. I'm old now and do not trust nor would ever use internet banking or bank transfers in a million years, good luck to them that do though, we are all different. If PP packed up that would be me back on the highstreet with good old Cash in my hand.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Sorry to hear of your troubles with PP. Sadly it's the Only way I'll ever pay or receive money online. I'm old now and do not trust nor would ever use internet banking or bank transfers in a million years, good luck to them that do though, we are all different. If PP packed up that would be me back on the highstreet with good old Cash in my hand.
I totally get it to be honest. It's a huge pain as most people want to pay that way, myself included. Hoping to sort it out in the near future.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
To be honest Wayne, I don’t see a great difference between PayPal and any other bank transfer - it’s just another bank after all. Or am I missing something?

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
To be honest Wayne, I don’t see a great difference between PayPal and any other bank transfer - it’s just another bank after all. Or am I missing something?
PayPal has policies that protect you, although if you're sending it via Friends and Family it's really no better than anything else. I've used bank transfer to receive recently and it's been fine.

dc68

-------------
Bank transfers are fine - once you have set up the receiver in your account. I always send only £1 as an initial payment in case I get the numbers wrong or there is a potential fraud. Only with accurate confirmation of receipt do I send the balance. I do this for all tradespeople I need to pay ( plumbers, heating engineers etc).

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I really do not understand why people fear internet banking. It is as secure as paypal, if not more so. It is easy to do and unless YOU do something stupid then the bank will cover your ar*e any way. I think it is more a case of fear of the unknown that prevents people from using this method.

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
How interesting. Isn‘t bank transfer the more traditional means of sending money? I think when comparing to a paypal f&f payment, it won‘t make any difference really.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I think sometimes the terminology gets confusing and people fear it. I am no expert but , for example, I would not go any where near the likes of Western Union or some of the other well known avenues for fraud and deception. Uk bank or building society to UK bank or building society , no issues whatsoever.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
The main reason for using Paypal is the buyer protection, so that if you send money to a rogue and don't receive your goods you're protected. However if people send money via F&F because the seller wants to avoid paying the fees, the buyer has no protection at all and if you don't receive your goods you're screwed. At that point there's no advantage to using Paypal over bank transfer or cash in an envelope.