Can anyone identify this?

Discussion in 'Recreation, Hobbies & Interests' started by Randomangle, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 8CAE1E65-C6C0-4595-B94F-0293B1690FDF.jpeg

This is a long shot, but this has erupted from an old root in the middle of the garden ... note very dry grass and weeds. There is a pear tree nearby but the leaves are completely different, in the past we had Dutch elms and there was a small apple tree (but this is a lump of a root).

Unfortunately it wll get decapitated when the grass is cut at some point before it becomes more apparent.

Anyone have superb oracular arboreal knowledge?

2. halvor

halvor Esquire

Got an iPhone or iPad, Chris? Have LeafSnap, LikeThatGarden or Plantsnapp apps scan it. Surely Android offers similar.

Randomangle likes this.
  3. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Taking into consideration the trees you said you once had and have, and going on the roundness of these leaves. I would say they are root suckers of the rootstock of your pear tree, quince varieties are mostly used for this purpose.

Unfortunately I can't identify which variety they are being so young. Maybe try a gardeners forum.

Hope this is of help. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Randomangle likes this.
  4. Thanks very much for the information. I will try out the technology as that will be fascinating (I can now see myself scanning all sorts) and I did wonder if they were a different shape because they are young leaves.

Bless you! :notworthy:

5. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

The rootstock is a different tree to the pear tree, they are grafted together. This is not the case for all pear trees but if the root suckers are difrent leaves from the pear tree leaves then this is maybe why. Quince tree roots are normally used for pear tree rootstock grafting. So I would guess that they are quince tree root suckers. Hope that is clearer.

Blademonkey likes this.
  6. Perfectly clear Darron. It is quite an old pear tree, so we have never known any different trees than mentioned. I was hoping for it to be a mystery ... the first large leaf that appeared reminded me of oak, but as it’s progressed it’s obviously not.

Ah well, it will inevitably get a haircut soon.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

7. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Yes I understand the Oak, it also reminds me of a shrub but the name escapes me right now.

Do you get many pears from the tree? How tall is it, you have me intrigued now?

A haircut you say, will you be using a "pear" of scissors! Sorry I couln't resist that one. :wink:

8. It will be a number zero with the mower. :happy:

The actual tree quite old and about fifteen feet high. As to the pears they are particularly obnoxious and not particularly pleasant to eat. In fact I don’t thinkeven the wasps like them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice