Camera for SOTD pictures

shadowman12

Legendary Member
I currently use my phone for SOTD pictures, and I'm considering to maybe upgrade it to a better camera. I see some many beautiful SOTD pictures coming by on this forum, and I was wondering what kind of camera you guys, and what you can recommend as a good camera for SOTD pictures?

R181

Grumpy old man
I think most cameras in phones today are good enough to do good SOTD photos with. Maybe just experiment a bit with it and the lighting and layout.

Bob

Forgot to add use a simple photo manipulation program too.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I think most cameras in phones today are good enough to do good SOTD photos with. Maybe just experiment a bit with it and the lighting and layout.

Bob

Forgot to add use a simple photo manipulation program too.
+1

The cameras on high end phones in particular are as good as most dedicated cameras now. I use a Huawei P20 Pro (Up to 40MP with a Leica lens and very good exposure control) with Pixlr onboard for editing

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
As has been said, really no need for a fancy camera for SOTD photos. All I use is my phone cam with Snapseed app for editing.
Use a torch, or other light source to illuminate rather than the flash. You can also get a cheap light box off ebay that will transform your pics...

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
A few months ago, I tried using my Canon digital SLR for some shave-of-the-day photos, and quickly realized that I much prefer to continue using my phone. I currently have an LG G6 phone, and as seems rather standard here, I also use Snapseed for some editing after the fact. For good image quality, I recommend shooting at the highest resolution the phone can do. (But I do shrink my photos after the fact, since it’s not necessary for every SOTD photo to be a 4 Mb file.)

Each to their own but I’d never spend more than a minute or two doing one on my phone. I used to post daily SOTD until the realisation that I didn’t really care what anyone else was using so the same was more than likely applicable to me. That and seeing the same pics on several different forums. It’s obviously a serious matter for some. Christian takes some crackers.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
If you only taking SOTD photos then a phone camera will be more than adequate, but if you like me enjoy taking photos then buy yourself the best camera you can afford, people spend a lot more on shaving gear and Gentlemen's fragrances, to me a camera is a far better investment, a shaving forum without photos wouldn't be worth looking at.:)

Last edited: