IMHO. Using a shave stick is the ultimate face lather. You have to rub the shave stick soap in to your beard and then make lather. With a nice boar brush it is wonderful. I always have enough lather for a 3 pass shave.I have yet to try the soap stick, though I did pick one up a few days ago.
Out of curiosity, is there sufficient in the brush for subsequent passes, or do you have to “ vigorously mash the soap stick into your face” again?
The Palmolive stick is nice. Good old time scent. I picked up two for $3.95 shipped.Wish I could buy a Palmolive shave stick for the equivalent of 50p over here. It's a very good shave stick for me and at 50p would be one hell of a bargain considering how good it is.
Bob
Yes, an old time scent for sure. It reminds me of the Palmolive shave cream I used in the late 60s early 70s.The Palmolive stick is nice. Good old time scent. I picked up two for $3.95 shipped.
Ed K.
I don't disagree that our faces can certainly use some exfoliating. But as an avid bowl latherer, I view the time taken and process followed to work up the lather in a bowl as therapy and stress release. I find it relaxing and soothing. And i know my lather is going to be exactly as I like it, at least most of the time. But just because we are bowl lathering doesn't mean exfoliation isn't taking place. Once the lather is ready I take some time to really scrub the lather into my beard and face with the brush using circling and long sweeps across the face like I've seen Daniel Craig do in one of his Bond movies. Then, once property exfoliated and lathered I do my first pass. And then I do it all over again for each subsequent pass which is 3 plus some touchup. So I'm getting a ton of cleansing and exfoliating this way as well. A journey it is. And I'm very happy to have discovered it.Shaving is a journey where most want to try different ways of doing things.
My perspective is, why wasting energy to stir up a lather in a bowl, while all that energy can be used to exfoliate the skin and prepare the stubble. After all we we don't need to exfoliate the scuttle?
To me lathering in a bowl is wasting time and energy that can be used better elsewhere while it doesn't improve anything to the shave, and the scuttle only adds just another gadget.
But if you think it may be something nice or beneficial to do, try it, and enjoy the journey. You may end up collecting scuttles, who knows? That is how things go in the wonderful world of wet shaving.
Both. Face and bowl lather, depends on the mood and how you feel before shaving, if you’re too tired to face lather, I switch over to bowl lather regardless of the weather, because is does take some stress off your arms and shoulders during face lather when bowl becomes easier.Both / Depends on the weather .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk