Boar brushes are not a hidden gems

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
You won't live long enough to wear out a boar! Where did you read such blasphemy???!!!
In the 30 years I used boars (before switching to badgers), I had to throw away an Omega because the knot was finished.

Other times I bought a new one because I had left the brush somewhere, or because I was bored with the old one.

So yes, boar knots (or the glue) can go bad over the years, leading to a bald brush syndrome.

Hodge

Forum GOD!
Ive got a vintage boar bristle and badger mix (made in England) that really stands out above any boar brush. I think its got the best of both materials working together perfectly. Although i prefer badger, this mixed brush finds its way into my rotation often.

GoReds

Forum GOD!
Ive got a vintage boar bristle and badger mix (made in England) that really stands out above any boar brush. I think its got the best of both materials working together perfectly. Although i prefer badger, this mixed brush finds its way into my rotation often.
Can you please post a picture?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Jumping on this one and resurrecting. I love my badgers but now find I tend to reach for my cheap Omega Boar more often than not. Even thinking now of making it my go on holiday, 'don't care' if I LOSE IT, BRUSH . Well I do care actually but I am really finding these boars so nice once broken in.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I find my boars more user friendly and effective. They are great with soaps or creams but they truly excel with the hardest soaps. They have great backbone which I appreciate. And once broken in they can have the same gel tips that some badgers have. My favorite brush lately seems to be the Connaught Omega boar. It's really a nice little brush. And when I want to just go crazy with a big brush I break out the Omega Pro 49. Not as soft as the Connaught but hopefully getting there. And I'll add that I don't find it to be too floppy as I've heard some say. I don't soak my boar brushes for 5 minutes before using them. I soak them for about 2 minutes while I apply some pre-shave oil and if it's time, take out a new blade and stick it in the razor. That takes me about 2 minutes max. But just enough time for the hairs to absorb some water without making the brush all floppy.

Last edited:

Mitchcumsteen

Forum GOD!
Hello there,

I use boar and synthetic brushes. I am not crazy after boar brushes but I am surprised how really good they are and so much affordable.

My main boar brush is the Omega 10081. So affordable and it is a great performer! It is much cheaper than a synthetic one. Everyone knows this, so boars are not a hidden gem, but maybe they should be. :)

Anyone loves boar brushes here ? I think badger brushes have a bigger following of users
I have the same Omega...love it. I’m usually a Semogue guy but this model is good for me. It is, however, getting pushed aside by the 620....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk