Boar brush question.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Just had my first foray into the boar world. After much research I kept it simple and went with the highly recommended Omega 49 pro. I have put this through the 3 day break in and spun it round some soap a few. times too. The brush is predominately beige hair with a light sprinkling of dark brown to black ones. My issue is these dark ones are like wire. They show no signs of splitting and are as scritchy as a really scritchy thing that has just won first prize in a scritchy competition!

Is this normal, is this right? Should I be patient or is that a waste of time? They are certainly spoiling what is a lovely feel to the brush otherwise. I was also a tad surprised that the Omega label peeled off after a few uses and left a horrid sticky residue that was difficult to remove by normal methods.

Dr Watson

James
How many are there? My SOC knots came with 3 or 4 scritchy black hairs mixed in, I just trimmed them down to about half length... They need to be short enough to not touch your face that's all, obviously if there's loads of them its not going to work.

Stickers always eventually peel off shaving brushes, sooner or later. Some people apply a thin coat of clear nail varnish to preserve them.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
How many are there? My SOC knots came with 3 or 4 scritchy black hairs mixed in, I just trimmed them down to about half length... They need to be short enough to not touch your face that's all, obviously if there's loads of them its not going to work.
Mmmm. A good dozen. I have pulled the main offenders already but wanted to check before doing any more. Thank you

Edit - make that about 2 dozen. Dealt with.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
In my experience, the break in period for a boar brush is more like 3 weeks of everyday use not 3 days. Those brown/black bristles will eventually flag too they just take a little long than the beige ones. If you are used to badger brushes, I suggest not to put as much pressure on the boar till it is broken in. Good luck.

Bob

@Hectorsgaf

SOC brush arrived yesterday, soaked in water for 10 mins & then washed with hair shampoo & conditioner. Then dried vigorously by rubbing the knot on a towel. Soaked in cold water overnight & this morning I lathered the brush up in a hard soap. Then dried vigorously & left to soak for another 8 hours, just dried it again & it feels great, ends are splitting already :)

D53C2EC4-1075-46CC-ABE7-B3B65170D2FC.jpeg