Blood Pressure monitor

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
We have had an Omrom M20 monitor for a while now. After my recent visit to the opticians and discovery of a Cataract the optician was banging on about Blood Pressure. So I thought I’d use ours to daily monitor my BP. It was giving out high readings some very high. Some gave NHS advice to contact my doctor !

So Mrs Saint took it in to work (NHS) today. She used the one there then ours and it was 15 higher on the Diastolic. So the readings we can disregard.

Since spoken to a GP who said I should get a new machine. telephone consultation. He didn’t care about me being slightly concerned about over prescribing a steroid which has Cataracts as side effect. Didn’t care that I may be worried about BP.

Anyway anyone recomend a good reliable BP monitor ? I’ve got to buy one and send in the readings and someone will look at it. Time for a new GP !!!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Omron is a decent brand, upper arm is what I would recommend. No need to spend a lot as they are just an indication as to BP. 101 other factors to be considered that could affect BP readings.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
@Northam Saint My wife and I have been using an Omron BP monitor for several years and it remains accurate. Because of its age the specific model won’t be of use to you. It was recommended by our GP, but sadly he is now retired. His replacement is another kettle of fish who exhibits a lackadaisical attitude similar to that of your GP it seems. Late last year I tried to book an appointment for a general check-up and was advised that unless I had a specific complaint I couldn’t see him. I hadn’t seen him in over 2 years and because of my age (74) and a couple of underlying health conditions I thought it was time to have a going over. After much cajoling I was able to make an appointment. Fortunately, all is well, but it took him over a month to revert to me on the blood tests, etc he had ordered; to add insult to injury, it was only after I called his office a month after the tests were done that I learnt that he hadn’t looked at the results, but would do so when he had the time…would you believe. Unfortunately, there is an acute shortage of GP/ family physicians in Ontario and waiting lists are very long, so finding a new doctor is out of the question at the moment. Interestingly, my neighbour is an ER physician in a large hospital near us and she tells me that all the ERs in the area are overrun by people who can’t get to see their GPs because they are not doing their jobs, referring them to the local ER instead. Pretty disgraceful if you ask me and I wonder why the College of Physicians hasn’t come down on the GPs like a ton of bricks.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Omron is a decent brand, upper arm is what I would recommend. No need to spend a lot as they are just an indication as to BP. 101 other factors to be considered that could affect BP readings.
We got that particular Omron as it was on a Heart Foundation list. Been feeling a bit crap this week but apparently you shouldn’t just stop Nasal Steroids, not sure if thats right. I will pop in Boots at the weekend and see what they have in stock and do as he said and monitor three times am and pm. I have been good this week at reducing my calories, not drinking alcohol and doing twenty minutes on the exercise bike. I need to shift some weight! I can manage 8miles in 20 minutes which I don’t think is too bad. We have a family history of high BP and Diabetes so time to buck my ideas up.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
We have had an Omrom M20 monitor for a while now. After my recent visit to the opticians and discovery of a Cataract the optician was banging on about Blood Pressure. So I thought I’d use ours to daily monitor my BP. It was giving out high readings some very high. Some gave NHS advice to contact my doctor !

So Mrs Saint took it in to work (NHS) today. She used the one there then ours and it was 15 higher on the Diastolic. So the readings we can disregard.

Since spoken to a GP who said I should get a new machine. telephone consultation. He didn’t care about me being slightly concerned about over prescribing a steroid which has Cataracts as side effect. Didn’t care that I may be worried about BP.

Anyway anyone recomend a good reliable BP monitor ? I’ve got to buy one and send in the readings and someone will look at it. Time for a new GP !!!
I have the same model and readings are consistent with those at the GPs. As @Nishy said upper arm (using the same arm consistently) is the way to go and my GP advised two readings a day at regular times when you are not likely to be stressed or overstimulated. She also said to take two readings and disregard the first (less likely to anxious for the second)

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have the same model and readings are consistent with those at the GPs. As @Nishy said upper arm (using the same arm consistently) is the way to go and my GP advised two readings a day at regular times when you are not likely to be stressed or overstimulated. She also said to take two readings and disregard the first (less likely to anxious for the second)
Wondering with that if I had it high enough up my arm.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Got a new one, the other was reading high. That said it’s towards pre high. I have made some changes. For a start I have reduced my calorie intake. I haven’t been drinking during the week and limited myself to one on Saturday and one Sunday. I’m doing 20 mins and achieving 8-9 miles on the exercise bike a day. So far I have lost 11 lb ! Dinner tonight was a roasted chicken breast and rice. Flipping starving ! LOL !

Last edited: