Blades and Dialing in your razor

Scubasteve

So those that don't know , I am new to this and are in the second week and loving De razors!

My question is when I bought my razor , I ordered blade samples as I've read.

So far the astra blades are my blade!
I tried the astras after a few duds I didn't care for! I put the astras in and love them. Anything else I've tried I'm like Nah not for me!

I'm not saying astra greens are the best, but for now best for my razor and skills

So my question is has anyone have had the similar experience? Put the blade in and say that's the razor blade? Done

I've stocked up on the astras while I'm waiting for some voskhods to arrive

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Yes.
I’m 18 months in and still checking and revisiting blades.
Voskhods are top of my list, followed by Sputnik, Shark SS, and Personna
There are lots in the middle that I am beginning to be able to use as my technique improves, but still don’t hit the mark of those above.
Nacets and Wilkinson Sword are like cheese graters for me.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Consider yourself lucky if you found a favorite blade in 2 weeks. A typical member has numerous blade packs with 3 or 4 blades remaining.

Maybe wait a year and try more blades

Scubasteve

Consider yourself lucky if you found a favorite blade in 2 weeks. A typical member has numerous blade packs with 3 or 4 blades remaining.

Maybe wait a year and try more blades
I still need practice and feel.maybe another razor to get a better But feel the astra in the merkur 23 is a goodd
Fit for me, least irritation , least amount of nicks and just has the right feel

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I thought I found my blade in the sampler pack (also Astra SPs), bought 100 of them, then kept sampling different types of blades. I've since found 2 other blades that consistently work better for me than the Astra SPs, but depending on which razor I'm using I can have very different blade preferences

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I like Astra SP too, but my favourites are Personna med preps, use those in everything and have for years.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I thought I found my blade in the sampler pack (also Astra SPs), bought 100 of them, then kept sampling different types of blades. I've since found 2 other blades that consistently work better for me than the Astra SPs, but depending on which razor I'm using I can have very different blade preferences
Exactly as above - my initial buy of 100 Astra SP still work nicely in my R41, but generally I prefer Nacet and GSB especially in my Karve OC E plate which needs a touch more sharpness.

FRFC1908

Kakkerlak till I die!
of all the blades I have tried sofar the voskods are my least favorite blades , love the medpreps , nacits , feathers , astra greens and treets!

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Voskhods and Nacets worked for me very early on. As my technique has improved, I'm finding blades that previously didn't work for me now do. There's also some that perform better in certain razors than others.

R181

Grumpy old man
Voskhods and Nacets worked for me very early on. As my technique has improved, I'm finding blades that previously didn't work for me now do. There's also some that perform better in certain razors than others.
Fine tuning your blades is the least of a newbies worries because it is likely they have not developed a good consistent shaving technique. Most all blades, soaps/creams and brushes will work to give a good shave so long as your technique is consistently good. Once you are getting consistently good shaves add one variable at a time to see if that works better for you.

Bob

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Fine tuning your blades is the least of a newbies worries because it is likely they have not developed a good consistent shaving technique. Most all blades, soaps/creams and brushes will work to give a good shave so long as your technique is consistently good. Once you are getting consistently good shaves add one variable at a time to see if that works better for you.

Bob
I completely agree. Takes a lot of will power to limit the variation early on though. I was (and still am occasionally) guilty of introduction far too many new variables in to shaves and making some poorly informed decisions off the back of them.

Scubasteve

Yes I agree with what the two of you have said! I've read and don't know here or online elsewhere but read pick a soap / cream and one brand of blade for a month and that's what the plan is..
Develop your skills first and go from there , I am taking away