Beyond the Face - Bath and Shampoo Bar Soaps.

TheBurgh

Loyal Order of The Overlander; Fan of The Winning
Being several months into my metamorphosis from Mach 3 and canned gel shaving to my reincarnated wet shaving self, I have been enthralled with experimenting with pre-shaves, creams, croaps and soaps. The varieties of those products, and experimental comparisons, have greatly enhanced my newfound joy in shaving.

Scattered hither and yon, on this and other forums, are tidbits of information and opinions (most being somewhat dated) regarding the thousands of new, artisanal body soap bars and shampoo bars. This is a humble attempt to update, consolidate and gather many of those and new experiences.

I now have skin in this game (pardon the pun) as I have created for myself a new rabbit hole, one in which I intend to be clean, well-scented, healthily-skinned/scalped and joyfully challenged by experimentation. I have amassed a "den" of: 9 Brands of bar soaps in 25 scents, 4 brands of all-in-one bars in 5 scents and 5 brands of shampoo bars in 10 scents. I hope that the journey in this process (which will last quite some time) will be equal to the fun of testing wet shaving products.

Have you tried (or not tried) any of these "cousins" to pre-shaves, creams, croaps and shaving soaps? Likes and dislikes? Skin reactions? Scent preferences? Brand or scent loyalties?

All experiences, opinions and reactions are welcome. Thanks for reading!

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
Good old Pears transparent is my go to soap for the shower.

I have about a half dozen shampoo bars that I rotate including Signature Soaps, Musco & Eco Warrior. My current favourite is XHC Papaya shampoo and conditioning bar

TheBurgh

Loyal Order of The Overlander; Fan of The Winning
I just began my shampoo bar experiences. Might have accidentally begun the process with a benchmark-producing product, Mystic Waters. In decades of hair washing, I can't recall consistently cleaner, longer lasting and healthier outcomes.

No matter what bars I finally select from my trials, MW will be in my permanent roster!

"MYSTIC" indeed!

I've been using Dr Bronner's bar soaps. The Peppermint one used to be mightily refreshing, but recently they seem to have toned down the scent.
I've used all varieties as they can be used as shampoo bars as well.

Also the B&M bar soaps are really decent.

Grarea

Forum Plod
We did have a shampoo bar thread.
I'm a big fan. I also like the eco side of it, so its a win win in my mind.
We started off with various stuff from lush and was very impressed. Also tried the goat company one and a few others.

Then I discovered how easy it is to make your own.
(Just did some yesterday actually)
I use it as shampoo and body and hand soap.
I did also shave with it and it is doable, but not as good as my shave soaps I have.
I make it with lye, water and olive oil. Just a simple soap. Trouble is, everyone likes it so I have to make extra.
It matures. So, in an ideal world you wait six to twelve months. But it can be used pretty soon, it just gets a lot better.

slapo

It's... alive!
Here's a few other threads about the topic:

They might help a bit, too.

slapo

It's... alive!
We did have a shampoo bar thread.
I'm a big fan. I also like the eco side of it, so its a win win in my mind.
We started off with various stuff from lush and was very impressed. Also tried the goat company one and a few others.

Then I discovered how easy it is to make your own.
(Just did some yesterday actually)
I use it as shampoo and body and hand soap.
I did also shave with it and it is doable, but not as good as my shave soaps I have.
I make it with lye, water and olive oil. Just a simple soap. Trouble is, everyone likes it so I have to make extra.
It matures. So, in an ideal world you wait six to twelve months. But it can be used pretty soon, it just gets a lot better.
Have you tried using sunflower oil instead of olive oil, by any chance?
The few liquid castile soaps based mostly on sunflower oil that I tried were somewhat gentler than olive oil based ones for me.
I tried looking for some in bar form, but I don't think I found any without a lot of crud in there.

On a related note, do you use the sort of oil that would also be good for frying or the less refined sort when making your soaps?

Another one I have been using is by a brand called "Foamie". It's an all in one product so can be used for body, face and hair. I tend to use it when travelling. It's very good but perhaps a bit expensive at around £6 for 90g of soap.

The company also makes shampoo bars, face soaps and hand and body soaps which I am yet to try.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Have you tried using sunflower oil instead of olive oil, by any chance?
The few liquid castile soaps based mostly on sunflower oil that I tried were somewhat gentler than olive oil based ones for me.
I tried looking for some in bar form, but I don't think I found any without a lot of crud in there.

On a related note, do you use the sort of oil that would also be good for frying or the less refined sort when making your soaps?
No I haven't.
I have only made a few batches and have just followed the recipe that I knew works so far.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQiSSuNwK0&t=524s

He suggests to just use the cheap olive oil.
I grabbed the cheapest own brand in the supermarket.

This batch was to make sure I didn't run out. My next lot, I plan on starting to experiment with different oils.
I hadn't thought of sunflower oil particularly, but now you have mentioned it......