Bath Soap to Shave Soap?

R181

Grumpy old man
I don't know/understand what you mean by converted. I have shaved with Ivory bath soap and it was not the most pleasant experience. The formulas are different between bath and shave soaps from what I have read.

Bob

Rev 579

Über Member
Thanks Bob for the reply. I have a couple of bars of Penhaligon's Halfeti bath soap, and as a tinkerer in nature, it would be worth the effort to try to convert a bar to a more appropriate shave soap.

churchilllafemme

Forum GOD!
I have tried it with Penhaligon's and Acqua di Parma tallow soaps, and neither worked very well. The lather was thin, didn't soften my beard much, and dried quickly.

D

Deleted member 476

No, I figure that's too much work, but I have relegated many shave soap to the bath. Currently, its a puck of williams.

1575400483955.png

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I used to use bath soap and cart razors before I was enlightened, with poor results but I suppose it all depends on the quality of bath soap you are using.
I've used shaving soap as bath soap before now, that works out just fine :) P.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Has anyone ever "converted" a hand-held bath soap to a shave soap?
Short of some serious chemistry to replace the majority of the dominant sodium compounds in bath soaps with their potassium equivalents it's not really possible.

Cream could be added to make a super lather, but that to me isn't really conversion. May as well just get on with using the cream

It's also not a coincidence that a significant proportion of shave soaps which lather poorly (stand up GFT) are dominated by sodium rather than potassium compounds.

Rev 579

Über Member
Short of some serious chemistry to replace the majority of the dominant sodium compounds in bath soaps with their potassium equivalents it's not really possible.

Cream could be added to make a super lather, but that to me isn't really conversion. May as well just get on with using the cream

It's also not a coincidence that a significant proportion of shave soaps which lather poorly (stand up GFT) are dominated by sodium rather than potassium compounds.
^^This^^
In comparing 3 different ToOBS options: Cream, Shaving Soap, and Bath Soap, the Cream and Shaving Soap are virtually the same with the only exception being the content ratio of Triethanolamine(Greater in the soap) and Parfum(Greater in the cream). The ToOBS Bath Soap ingredients are almost completely different. Further, the ToOBS soap mirrors Penhaligon's Bath Soap with the salts and such. It looks like Plan B.