Badger soaking experiments

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I thought so.
But the water is not so warm 15 minutes later, especially during winter
I have a little trick for that
I place the brush bristles down in a glass with warm water and then fill the sink up with much hotter water around it
Keeps it nice and warm without it getting too hot

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I soak under the tap for 30-45 seconds - less for synthetics. On some recent Paladin brushes, I can easily feel the weight gain (knot holding water).

As still learning on this great forum, I have assumed soaking is to 1) soften the hair / tips 2) retain some water / moisture to lather the soap 3) moisture helps retain soap for 2nd and 3rd pass. I am guessing there is a point when the brush will no longer absorb the water and soaking beyond that time may not be adding any benefit. Also guessing that point is somewhat variable with knot, size, etc.

I am hoping that point is close to 30-45 seconds or 80-90% retention at that time.

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I always think that badger needs a soak to soften up and decrease the chance of hairs breaking off. When I don’t have time to soak I use a synth. I’ve found denser badgers have better flow if you leave a bit more water in the knot before a long load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
I always think that badger needs a soak to soften up and decrease the chance of hairs breaking off. When I don’t have time to soak I use a synth. I’ve found denser badgers have better flow if you leave a bit more water in the knot before a long load.

I was about to say that for the past few weeks I decided not to soak at all and have simply taken the brush straight to the tub of soap (which admittedly does get a drop of water in to soak) .... and was going to say it hasn't made any noticeable difference compared to soaking it for ten minutes, or whatever.

However fly has made the point about soaking possibly preventing hair from breaking - and now he's said that I have to say I have noticed more stray hairs shedding in the past few weeks.

Maybe fly has got it spot on!

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I was about to say that for the past few weeks I decided not to soak at all and have simply taken the brush straight to the tub of soap (which admittedly does get a drop of water in to soak) .... and was going to say it hasn't made any noticeable difference compared to soaking it for ten minutes, or whatever.

However fly has made the point about soaking possibly preventing hair from breaking - and now he's said that I have to say I have noticed more stray hairs shedding in the past few weeks.

Maybe fly has got it spot on!
Can you tell my wife I got something right?