Back to the bowl

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Whilst at home 99% bowl, but I face lather whilst travelling. I find you have more control using the bowl, but certain soaps work very well lathering on the face.

wintoid

Out of control
I’ve recently gone back to the bowl myself. I’m rediscovering soaps I had written off. I seem to be able to go much wetter without flinging lather

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I was a dedicated bowl latherer but now I feel that face lathering gives me the opportunity to feel the lather better when it is ready to start the shave. With bowl lathering I always tend to use more water and destroy the lather.
That's more or less where I'm at too. I didn't actually get good at lathering until I moved to face lathering. You can feel as you work the water in how slick you're getting it.

MPH

Forum GOD!
For many years I always bowl lathered, I loved it and could really dial the lather in. Then one day I broke my (another!!!) bowl and it took a little while to replace it. During this time i started to face lather and I guess I got used to it. I've only just realised that I cant remember when I last used my bowl??? I guess I'm a face latherer now? Lol.

dadant

Forum GOD!
I always use the combi method, face lather for the first pass when the beard really benefits then while it's sitting on my chops for a minute or so whip up a load in a warm bowl where consistency is assured. Best of both worlds imo, plus I don't like scrubbing my tender skin after the first pass trying to generate more lather cos I'm delicate like that.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I cooked up a very nice bowl lather today with some Southern Witchcrafts Samhain in the new Ross Giles bowl. Still needed more water when worked into the whiskers but felt quite nice to do a lot of that in the bowl first. Nice shave too with a Razorock Game Changer .68.

S

Steve Bowles

A little experiment I put myself through. 3 months using a bowl to create lather and 3 months face lathering (no bowl). I used a variety of soaps and creams. Well I thought I had solved shaving. I thought the bowl would be a waste of time.

I realised at least 1 in 3 shaves when face lathering, was with a mediocre lather. Now this isn't a bad lather, definitely usuable. However when using a bowl it is always perfect, one has more control using a bowl to create lather IMO.

Silly experiment in some ways but thought I would share :)
+1

wintoid

Out of control
I've got over a month of daily shaving using the Timeless bowl now. I don't think I'm going back to face lathering after this.

In fact, it's got me looking at my various brushes and wishing they had longer handles. The Chubbies, MF 3XLs and Shavemac 173 are a bit stubby for a bowl. The Alpha brushes work well.

Maybe I should get a shallower bowl, like the dog bowls people have been getting.

wintoid

Out of control
One consequence of using the bowl is that I've started using the residue in the bowl as a post-shave. So I shave, wash face, alum, wash face, rub residual lather into face, and then aftershave. Lovely!

Reactions: p.b