Back to the bowl

Dr Watson

The Other James
I make lather on top of the puck in my soap container, and then thoroughly scrub it into the beard with a firm boar brush. I don't use a separate bowl, and you seem to be less than current on your history lessons. No colonies here since we kicked you to the curb.
Exactly what I do myself :okay: It's loading the brush on a puck then building the perfect lather in a bowl and then lathering again on the face I was failing to see the point of.

The colonial comment was 100% tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. It's the easiest way known to man to wind up an American... Never failed me yet :D

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
Exactly what I do myself :okay: It's loading the brush on a puck then building the perfect lather in a bowl and then lathering again on the face I was failing to see the point of.

The colonial comment was 100% tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. It's the easiest way known to man to wind up an American... Never failed me yet :D
Have you applied for a sense of Haw Haw yet. As far as I can see the "colonies" comment was just good natured ribbing.

Bob
Not meaning to sound that way, didn't type it angrily or anything,... guess I now know how to "wind up" a Brit! 😉

brit

Veteran
i face lathered with a wilkinson sword boar and williams soap since 2006 ish after dropping canned goo..but i still used gillette mach 3 carts until 2016...after that i went the vintage gillette de path and bowl lathering ..i love bowl lathering and have a captains choice heavy copper and stone field ceramic bowls as well as a few old whatever bowls..i enjoy the bowl lathering as part of the ritual and have fantastic results..not a necessity but an indulgence for me..also great for new soaps that i haven't dialed in yet..

Grishnak

Guru
I've not noticed any difference personally other than always making 2 to 3 times more than required when using a bowl, It's like cooking rice or pasta, you always end up with enough for a football team.

I find when bowl lathering followed by painting the lather on the qualities of the brush become insignificant beyond knot size and handle length rendering special hair types and knot constructions that many pay through the nose for a waste of time, but that may just be me.
I have only tried face lathering a couple of times, but being a relative newbie (18 months) still get on with the bowl better.
However, I do always end up with enough lather to complete another couple of passes.
Has anyone tried popping this back on the pluck rather than washing it down the sink?
Seems it is only hydrated puck, so why can’t it just dehydrate back into puck ?

brit

Veteran
I have only tried face lathering a couple of times, but being a relative newbie (18 months) still get on with the bowl better.
However, I do always end up with enough lather to complete another couple of passes.
Has anyone tried popping this back on the pluck rather than washing it down the sink?
Seems it is only hydrated puck, so why can’t it just dehydrate back into puck ?
some might but lots don't.most soaps last a long time..once you dial the soap/cream in just load less..or,do a face wash with the remainder while you clean your shave gear..artisan soaps and others have lots of face food in them..

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I should.have added the bowls I have been using:
Fine (2 months solid)
Steve Woodward
EJ standard tall walled mug type bowl.