Back to the bowl

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
A little experiment I put myself through. 3 months using a bowl to create lather and 3 months face lathering (no bowl). I used a variety of soaps and creams. Well I thought I had solved shaving. I thought the bowl would be a waste of time.

I realised at least 1 in 3 shaves when face lathering, was with a mediocre lather. Now this isn't a bad lather, definitely usuable. However when using a bowl it is always perfect, one has more control using a bowl to create lather IMO.

Silly experiment in some ways but thought I would share :)

ESBrushmaker

Forum GOD!
Artisan
A little experiment I put myself through. 3 months using a bowl to create lather and 3 months face lathering (no bowl). I used a variety of soaps and creams. Well I thought I had solved shaving. I thought the bowl would be a waste of time.

I realised at least 1 in 3 shaves when face lathering, was with a mediocre lather. Now this isn't a bad lather, definitely usuable. However when using a bowl it is always perfect, one has more control using a bowl to create lather IMO.

Silly experiment in some ways but thought I would share :)
Not so silly, IMO. We all have our preferences. My wife gave me a scuttle about four years ago, and I've become addicted to it--summer, fall, winter, spring. :happy:

Dr Watson

The Other James
I've not noticed any difference personally other than always making 2 to 3 times more than required when using a bowl, It's like cooking rice or pasta, you always end up with enough for a football team.

I find when bowl lathering followed by painting the lather on the qualities of the brush become insignificant beyond knot size and handle length rendering special hair types and knot constructions that many pay through the nose for a waste of time, but that may just be me.

RandySp

Forum GOD!
I was a dedicated bowl latherer but now I feel that face lathering gives me the opportunity to feel the lather better when it is ready to start the shave. With bowl lathering I always tend to use more water and destroy the lather.

MntnMan62

Legendary Member
I've not noticed any difference personally other than always making 2 to 3 times more than required when using a bowl, It's like cooking rice or pasta, you always end up with enough for a football team.

I find when bowl lathering followed by painting the lather on the qualities of the brush become insignificant beyond knot size and handle length rendering special hair types and knot constructions that many pay through the nose for a waste of time, but that may just be me.
The brush may be insignificant if all you do is paint on the lather after making it in the bowl. But I don't know why anyone would do that. As Blademonkey and I have said, we do our own version of face lathering after making the lather in the bowl. And in that instance the brush takes on all the significance that it does when just face lathering.

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
I build the initial lather on my face to really work in the soap then continue in a bowl for masses of lather

Dr Watson

The Other James
The brush may be insignificant if all you do is paint on the lather after making it in the bowl. But I don't know why anyone would do that. As Blademonkey and I have said, we do our own version of face lathering after making the lather in the bowl. And in that instance the brush takes on all the significance that it does when just face lathering.
I can assure you it's quite common practice, not everyone wants a face massage... Perhaps things are different in the colonies :p:

It was merely an observation, of course whichever way we choose to lather is entirely valid for ourselves. Personally I don't understand making a lather in a bowl and then face lathering with it, presumably because you can't get consistently good results without the aid of a bowl?

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, everyone is different in what works for them. Personally, I tried bowl lathering and still have the scuttle somewhere to prove it. Started with face lathering 50 years ago and went back to it after the scuttle experience.

Bob

Boycie83

Veteran
When I first started 'proper' wet shaving, I had just the Proraso Omega brush and this Proraso bowl:
s-l225.jpg
I never really knew of face lathering and produced some truly awful (in hindsight) lathers in this thing.

I've now got two really nice Giles bowls but my bowl lathering remains atrocious. I've no idea how though. I can build a good lather on my face* but not in a bowl? As odd as it sounds, I'm convinced I've done something to my confidence with regards to bowl lathering and I end up overly thinking and ultimately ruining lathers I make in the bowl. I can completely get the logic for bowl lathering though. I should probably bite the bullet and devote a month of shaving to nailing it.

TobyC

Patriot
I can assure you it's quite common practice, not everyone wants a face massage... Perhaps things are different in the colonies :p:

It was merely an observation, of course whichever way we choose to lather is entirely valid for ourselves. Personally I don't understand making a lather in a bowl and then face lathering with it, presumably because you can't get consistently good results without the aid of a bowl?
I make lather on top of the puck in my soap container, and then thoroughly scrub it into the beard with a firm boar brush. I don't use a separate bowl, and you seem to be less than current on your history lessons. No colonies here since we kicked you to the curb.