August 2020 Acquisitions

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Chris, I'm hoping to return to straights again, full-time. Previously, this little razor was my sole backup. Having left my previous one in a hotel by accident, it was time to buy again.
I'd love to try straight razor shaving, however I find the whole thing a total minefield compared to DE or SE shaving. Maybe one day!

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I'd love to try straight razor shaving, however I find the whole thing a total minefield compared to DE or SE shaving. Maybe one day!
Jon, as in all aspects of wet shaving, straight razor use can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Start with one, preferably two relatively inexpensive razors, plus a strop. There are numerous videos on technique and how to strop.
I started in mid year, 2011, and was fairly proficient within three months, such that I was using every morning before heading out to work.
It's fun and most definitely worth considering.

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Jon, as in all aspects of wet shaving, straight razor use can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Start with one, preferably two relatively inexpensive razors, plus a strop. There are numerous videos on technique and how to strop.
I started in mid year, 2011, and was fairly proficient within three months, such that I was using every morning before heading out to work.
It's fun and most definitely worth considering.
I think if like to just buy one, good quality one, like around £200 and then learn from there. I need to research the stripping and honing part, and just how expensive it is to maintain. Also don't know where to start on sizes, could be a day of watching YouTube! Any advice much appreciated.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I think if like to just buy one, good quality one, like around £200 and then learn from there. I need to research the stripping and honing part, and just how expensive it is to maintain. Also don't know where to start on sizes, could be a day of watching YouTube! Any advice much appreciated.
You don't even need to spend that much on a Straight. The £35 one that was on BST (think it's sold now) will be a super shaver and looked in great condition. I'm sure one of our straight shaver maestros could sort you out with a decent strop. That will keep you going for a while. Head over to the straight section and do a bit of research...

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
You don't even need to spend that much on a Straight. The £35 one that was on BST (think it's sold now) will be a super shaver and looked in great condition. I'm sure one of our straight shaver maestros could sort you out with a decent strop. That will keep you going for a while. Head over to the straight section and do a bit of research...
Cheers, I'm on there now.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
In these times this is my second buy of masks. Even though there is no clarity if masks are effective or not, I bought these with inbuilt N95 filter.
Update to the original post as a member wanted to know about these masks so I thought an update might help others too.
After a first wash, these turned out well by way of fitting compared to normal N95 3M masks with exhaust valve. These have a 3m like N95 filter sewn between two layers of hosiery cotton fabric. So the combined effect is that they aren't very flimsy and as you can see in the picture the overall heft tends to take a contour of a face on its own. That said the cotton fabric is not 'bonded' to the N95 filter and can be bit floppy around nostrils and mouth and needs bit of thumb tacking. Airflow is not as free as a single layer 3 fold mask but not suffocating. Elastic ear loop fitting feel easy against long band which needs adjusting at the back of head. Can last up to 30 washes.

IMG_20200802_132952_hdr.jpg