Atrial Flutter/ Heart Palpitations

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Hi all,

I've not posted much in the last few months but I'm still lurking.

I just wondered if any other members had any experience of Atrial Flutter and/or heart palpitations etc.

In September I experienced quite a worrying episode where my rating heart rate was 175 and ended up in a & e, the ecg showed Atrial flutter. It sorted itself out but I'm now on a low dose of beta blockers awaiting further investigation by cardiology.

I'm getting the sensations of fluttering and skipping beats several times per week and can't really identify any real trigger.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience they would be willing to share, while I patiently wait until January for my appointment.

Thanks

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Hi all,

I've not posted much in the last few months but I'm still lurking.

I just wondered if any other members had any experience of Atrial Flutter and/or heart palpitations etc.

In September I experienced quite a worrying episode where my rating heart rate was 175 and ended up in a & e, the ecg showed Atrial flutter. It sorted itself out but I'm now on a low dose of beta blockers awaiting further investigation by cardiology.

I'm getting the sensations of fluttering and skipping beats several times per week and can't really identify any real trigger.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience they would be willing to share, while I patiently wait until January for my appointment.

Thanks
One of my colleagues slips in and out of AF. He has had a couple of restarts where the shock him out of AF and back to a normal. He doesn’t know why it does it, he just notices it when it does. Sometimes it will sort its self out but he is on meds too. He’s fit and well, runs half marathon and 10k no real reason. His will stay like it for days, or longer. Of course he tells me when it happens as I’m a First Aider. It is fairly common and they run regular clinics where they shock back to normal. Easy to say but try not to stress, my colleagues puts his down to stress.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
One of my colleagues slips in and out of AF. He has had a couple of restarts where the shock him out of AF and back to a normal. He doesn’t know why it does it, he just notices it when it does. Sometimes it will sort its self out but he is on meds too. He’s fit and well, runs half marathon and 10k no real reason. His will stay like it for days, or longer. Of course he tells me when it happens as I’m a First Aider. It is fairly common and they run regular clinics where they shock back to normal. Easy to say but try not to stress, my colleagues puts his down to stress.
Thanks, I'm trying not to worry and stress about it, but it's certainly difficult. The longest mine has lasted is hours, not sure I could handle days.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Thanks, I'm trying not to worry and stress about it, but it's certainly difficult. The longest mine has lasted is hours, not sure I could handle days.
Must be scary from what he says, but he’s use to it to a degree and knows when it happens. Happened a couple of weeks ago and he drove to A&E, they done an ECG and referred him next day to the heart team, he went up next day and by then it had popped back in to normal. My wife has attended the shock procedure as it was part of ward duties. Simple procedure and nothing to worry about, it you did have to have it done. My colleague is fine after having it done he’s in work next day.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Yes, I experience palpitations and higher heart rates quite a lot. I’m seeing Cardiology in February to discuss it. Curiously, what I’ve found has helped calm it a little is electrolyte supplements. The Zero 5 tabs that you dissolve in water have definitely helped out, which makes me believe my own issues might be related to the meds I take.

I’m glad you’re getting answers anyway. I know it can seem scary, I’ve been there. Always do your best not to panic, and be aware of how you feel. If you’re feeling faint or have noticeable pain get help.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Yes, I experience palpitations and higher heart rates quite a lot. I’m seeing Cardiology in February to discuss it. Curiously, what I’ve found has helped calm it a little is electrolyte supplements. The Zero 5 tabs that you dissolve in water have definitely helped out, which makes me believe my own issues might be related to the meds I take.

I’m glad you’re getting answers anyway. I know it can seem scary, I’ve been there. Always do your best not to panic, and be aware of how you feel. If you’re feeling faint or have noticeable pain get help.
Thanks Chris, no other symptoms like dizziness or pain. They caught the original atrial flutter on ecg which is good. I've had a 24 hour monitor on again so we'll see what they say in January. I might have a look at those electrolytes, it's happened a few times when I've been dehydrated, but that's not the only times it happens.

dc68

-------------
I had a bad episode about 8 years ago, they re-set my heart ( stop/restart) but to no avail, ultimately I had to have surgery, the procedure was called an ablation. They come in through the thigh and then burn away the small part of the heart that is making it short circuit. Been fine since. The ailment is called SVT, sub ventricular tachycardia.
The funny thing ( with hindsight) was that they had to make two burns as they found something whilst they were in there, I arose from sedation when they were still doing the second one.
Being a lawyer, I was surprised I had one anyway.

dc68

-------------
By the way, the Consultant offered me tablets to manage the condition or the Operation. I was 43 at the time. It was the correct decision. If you are otherwise healthy consider the operation. I was advised at my age, not to put myself in the position to have to be reliant upon medication for the rest of my life

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
By the way, the Consultant offered me tablets to manage the condition or the Operation. I was 43 at the time. It was the correct decision. If you are otherwise healthy consider the operation. I was advised at my age, not to put myself in the position to have to be reliant upon medication for the rest of my life
They've started me on beta blockers but I'm still having a few sort episodes every couple of days. I'm 44 so I'll see what they say. One of the Dr's in A&E did mention the possibility of the ablation as I'm young.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I've been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and on tablets to control it.
I'm one of those patients with no symptoms, in other words it happens to me but I'm not aware of it...although when I was in hospital and connected to a machine it was easy to see it on the screen.
I've had those 24h monitors to wear a couple of times and the ultrasound shows the problem.

I started meditation to help me with an insomnia issue that I have and when I'm trying to relax and concentrate on my breathing I can tell when the heart misses a few beats.

I purposely try not to let it interfere with my day to day life, there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point worrying about it... that's my conclusion.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and on tablets to control it.
I'm one of those patients with no symptoms, in other words it happens to me but I'm not aware of it...although when I was in hospital and connected to a machine it was easy to see it on the screen.
I've had those 24h monitors to wear a couple of times and the ultrasound shows the problem.

I started meditation to help me with an insomnia issue that I have and when I'm trying to relax and concentrate on my breathing I can tell when the heart misses a few beats.

I purposely try not to let it interfere with my day to day life, there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point worrying about it... that's my conclusion.
Thanks for the reply. With no symptoms other than the skipped fluttery beats I try not to worry and get on with things, but it's difficult sometimes. I had an ultrasound previously, but apparently that was fine. Just waiting patiently for the appointment to come around now.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the reply. With no symptoms other than the skipped fluttery beats I try not to worry and get on with things, but it's difficult sometimes. I had an ultrasound previously, but apparently that was fine. Just waiting patiently for the appointment to come around now.
Good luck with that :)