ATG SHAVEMAC 2017 LE *completed*

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I wasn’t in for this one but am watching with interest and may be tempted. I would have to bow out of the M Red buy though.

MPH

Forum GOD!
The d01s I've had were very scritchy (too much for my liking). I'd be a little worried this would be amplified in a flat-top? Is this not the case???

I only ask as I am intrigued by the flap tops.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The d01s I've had were very scritchy (too much for my liking). I'd be a little worried this would be amplified in a flat-top? Is this not the case???

I only ask as I am intrigued by the flap tops.
Hey Matt, definitely not as scratchy as the DO1 knots. I know which you refer too. The flat tops I have from Bernd are excellent, easily as soft as some of my standard 2 bands. Just more apparent on the face as you would expect. A fan with extra backbone if you like.

MikeyJ

Forum GOD!
I do find my D01 knot to scritchy.. Hasn't seen much action to be honest.. Don't know if it would change and become softer over time.
The other two shavemac brushes are sheer class from another group buy.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I do find my D01 knot to scritchy.. Hasn't seen much action to be honest.. Don't know if it would change and become softer over time.
The other two shavemac brushes are sheer class from another group buy.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
I have to admit the group buy D01 2 band was more scritchy than my other D01 2 bands. However it has a lower loft and larger width than my other D01 2 bands. Saying that it has seen many uses now and has zero scratch or scritch. Just an amazing backbone and scrub akin to large boar knots (e.g. Proraso boar).
I thoroughly enjoy it but as with anything shaving YMMV.

Poirots Tache

Forum GOD!
Nishy, taking into account what I have read here in the past and some previous guidance from you, would 50 loft in unique fan be better than 48? or is this aimed at increasing backbone? I am not trying to rock the boat and bear in mind my knowledge is limited to the square root of f.a (well two other shavemacs actually) but I am eager to learn!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Nishy, taking into account what I have read here in the past and some previous guidance from you, would 50 loft in unique fan be better than 48? or is this aimed at increasing backbone? I am not trying to rock the boat and bear in mind my knowledge is limited to the square root of f.a (well two other shavemacs actually) but I am eager to learn!
Good point, the reason behind the lower loft is to provide more backbone whilst maintaining a soft face feel. Going by previous fan knots, you can really lower Shavemac fan knots without sacrificing soft tips (within reason) I have several set this low but as 28mm or 26mm widths. This will be a superb brush, perhaps aimed more at those predominantly lathering with soap. As it will splay less than a higher loft and allow for a better massage feel when scrubbing.