Apple CarPlay am I missing something ?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
New car delivered last week, has Sat Nav, Bluetooth, DAB and CarPlay. So it’s all connected up to my iPhone (XR). But with the CarPlay it shows certain compatible apps. But none seem useful or just double up on other functions ? Already have Sat Nav so don’t need Maps, music is via media on car stereo on Bluetooth. Contacts are all available through normal Bluetooth. So am I missing anything or is it just a useless extra ?

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I have a 2014 A4 with all the bits you mentioned, but I don't have Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Like you, music is streamed through BT. All calls are made and received using the normal car controls.

The only reason I wish I had Android Auto is for Sat Nav. Having a 5 year old car means my maps are 5 years out of date. Audi want more than £500 for the update which is mental.

I have to use Google maps on my phone screen rather than the car LCD.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have a 2014 A4 with all the bits you mentioned, but I don't have Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Like you, music is streamed through BT. All calls are made and received using the normal car controls.

The only reason I wish I had Android Auto is for Sat Nav. Having a 5 year old car means my maps are 5 years out of date. Audi want more than £500 for the update which is mental.

I have to use Google maps on my phone screen rather than the car LCD.
Understand what you mean on the maps. We bought an SE Tech model which comes with Sat Nav. I’ve no doubt it will be gone within three years, so I won’t worry too much about updates. I’ve also a paid up CoPilot app which I use in the Pug. I paid up for North America maps on CoPilot too, something like £22, it’s served the last two trips over there. Based on one rental company wanting £15 a day for Sat Nav it’s an absolute bargain and includes regular updates.

I’m not sue how long Skoda allow you to update without charging, but at least the system is far easier with it being all on a SD card. £500 is far too heavy in my opinion for something that takes minutes.

Burry

Forum GOD!
I use Android Auto (which is androids equivalent to CarPlay, though I don't know exactly how similar they are). Although my car has built-in sat nav, music, phone plus access to contacts etc like yours, I find that using Android Auto means I can use voice control for everything. I just ask it to navigate to an address, read messages out loud when I get a message, send messages, play a podcast or music playlist etc. I can do all this without touching the phone or car display, or taking my eyes of the road. Plus Google maps reroutes me according to traffic conditions, which my built in sat nav does not. I also use it to set reminders of things to do as they occur to me while driving along (all by voice). To do any of that with the car built in software means I have to start tapping the screen which I try to avoid.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I use Android Auto (which is androids equivalent to CarPlay, though I don't know exactly how similar they are). Although my car has built-in sat nav, music, phone plus access to contacts etc like yours, I find that using Android Auto means I can use voice control for everything. I just ask it to navigate to an address, read messages out loud when I get a message, send messages, play a podcast or music playlist etc. I can do all this without touching the phone or car display, or taking my eyes of the road. Plus Google maps reroutes me according to traffic conditions, which my built in sat nav does not. I also use it to set reminders of things to do as they occur to me while driving along (all by voice). To do any of that with the car built in software means I have to start tapping the screen which I try to avoid.
Never tried google maps. It’s not often we even use the SatNav. Most of my journeys are between work or home. Doubt I would use the speak out to read or dictate facility, haven’t had that before. Anyone texting me while I’m driving gets ignored until I pull over or get to final destination, unless the kids or Mrs are in the car. I receive calls very rarely and never make any at the wheel, simply never have anything that urgent.

Only real facility of Bluetooth for me is jumping in the car knowing I can put on music from the phone with no leads etc and change from steering wheel. My OCD doesn’t like leads hanging around, another reason I won’t like using the car play as I need to plug it in via USB? If it’s on Bluetooth it can go in a lided storage thingy in the car.

Last edited:

mbarno

Forum GOD!
Apple CarPlay allows me to hear sms and WhatsApp, as well as respond to those messages. I have, what I believe to be a fairly flat accent, but some of the dictations are laughable, others perfect.

Music Apps like Spotify/deezer/Apple Music definitely work better via car play that Bluetooth

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have carplay in my VW, I have a TomTom which is better than Google Maps and Apple maps is pure pants so like you I rarely use it and yeah it is fairly useless for me too.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I'm an old school guy and prefer not to have to pay a monthly fee to access music that some service feels I should be listening to. Much of the music I listen to is far from mainstream. As a result I use an old Apple iPod Video v5.5 that I plug into my 2012 Audi A6. If I want variety I can put on one of my playlists. And if I want to listen to a specific album I can do that as well. I am totally opposed to the concept of streaming music. I want to be able to control and determine the source of my music, not someone else. Is it costly to have to buy all that music? Maybe. But I wold contend that the cost is probably not much different over a lifetime of making monthly payments for the privilege of listening to someone else's music.

As for the other apps, my car has built in GPS, bluetooth for connecting my phone. I don't need anything else really.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Doubt I would use the speak out to read or dictate facility

Only real facility of Bluetooth for me is jumping in the car knowing I can put on music from the phone with no leads etc and change from steering wheel. My OCD doesn’t like leads hanging around, another reason I won’t like using the car play as I need to plug it in via USB? If it’s on Bluetooth it can go in a lided storage thingy in the car.
Mine also has this capability but I never use it. Maybe I should. Apparently Audi's version get's great reviews. But my wife has a 2018 Ford Edge with the voice recognition and capability and I see how often it doesn't understand what she is saying. That would be infuriating to me. As for plugging my iPod in, I don't really have a problem with that because the cord from the iPod is very short and it sits in the armrest totally hidden from view and the cord won't get tangled in anything else. So for me, it's as if it was wirelessly connected because it's totally out of sight.

Boosted

I have carplay in my VW, I have a TomTom which is better than Google Maps and Apple maps is pure pants so like you I rarely use it and yeah it is fairly useless for me too.

The tomtom go app is pretty good. I had a paid sub on the old version and got 3 years free when they ditched it for go. The mapp updates are included and are updated very frequently.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Well after a couple of weeks use I don’t feel it’s something I will be using much. Far easier to jump in and have the car speak to the phone via Bluetooth. The unit in the Skoda is very good as is the sat Nav I must say. The car controls though are a little on the difficult side. To switch engine modes eco, normal, sport isn’t that easy,you have several selections through the menus to deal with. This is the same for switching off traction control. All our other cars have had a simple switch.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
The tomtom go app is pretty good. I had a paid sub on the old version and got 3 years free when they ditched it for go. The mapp updates are included and are updated very frequently.
I paid up for copilot a few years ago and that’s been very good in cars where the Sat Nav isn’t built in. Also seen us around California twice.