Anyone with mechanical knowledge ?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
In my experience if it’s intermittent it’s more likely to be a sensor than a mechanical fault unless it only does it when the engine bay gets hot. Then a joint might be expanding and leaking. Does it act up when it’s been raining? Water in connectors is a common issue.
Does it on a hot and cold engine, weather doesn’t seem to be a factor.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I didn't hear any hissing but every other comment I have read from your description has had me nodding. Spontaneous revving as described and excess power at times. It also used to miss behave then behave when sent to the garage. The mechanic drove it for around 30 miles and it was fine, definitely starts messing with your head! Anyway the car is now at BMW for 3 recalls and from what I've been told due to the high demand (recalls) it will take at least 3 weeks to sort out as parts are in short supply. In fact BMW did not have a fleet of courtesy cars large enough for customer recalls, so been outsourced to Enterprise car rental! The particular branch I was taken to are awaiting 8 months of payment so I've been told.
Really does mess with your head, one of the major thing is the dealer is a mate. He’s embarrassed, I’m embarrassed, end of the day these things happen.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Really does mess with your head, one of the major thing is the dealer is a mate. He’s embarrassed, I’m embarrassed, end of the day these things happen.
I don't know if it's any help, a bit of a long shot but whenever the car was in reverse, changing back to forward gears, usually brought on the stuttering etc.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I don't know if it's any help, a bit of a long shot but whenever the car was in reverse, changing back to forward gears, usually brought on the stuttering etc.
No, it’s not so much a stuttering, it’s more like a high (+500 rpm) idle. In first or second from a slow or standing start it accelerates fairly rapid with no accelerator being depressed. Feels a bit scary and not at all safe.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Got car back. It’s spent most of the day being tuned and had a software update. Initial impression is it’s quieter and more responsive. Let’s see how it goes.

Reactions: p.b