anyone got a water filter? noob needs help pls :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

hey people so i really want to start drinking more water now i dont know anything about water filters so im a total noob,
but i was wondering are these water filters legit? as in really good or gimmicky?

also which ones would you recommend?

ive got some health problems and one thing ive learnt about myself is thats ive got a serious addiction to fizzy drinks, anything sugary and also meat,
now i've noticed if i go a few days without fizzy drinks, sugary stuff and even meat believe it or not i get very irritable and it actually effects my mood

MPF9

Forum GOD!
hey people so i really want to start drinking more water now i dont know anything about water filters so im a total noob,
but i was wondering are these water filters legit? as in really good or gimmicky?

ive got some health problems and one thing ive learnt about myself is thats ive got a serious addiction to fizzy drinks, anything sugary and also meat,
now i've noticed if i go a few days without fizzy drinks, sugary stuff and even meat believe it or not i get very irritable and it actually effects my mood
Understand you are from The Midlands which has some of the best tap drinking water in UK. If you are not happy with it, try a a filter jug. Probably a filter system a waste of money.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
We use to have one, but gave up on it a long time ago. Tap water in the U.K. is some of the best quality in the world and better than bottled. A soda stream would give you that fizz, there are also low sugar syrups you can add. My daughter has a drink bottle that has a middle segment which we add a few berries to and it flavours the water, so a good natural source of flavour.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
We have a Berkey Water Filter, the specific model is Big Berkey. It filters out heavy metals [EDIT: and Chlorine] but not minerals and other presumably good stuff. This model is a good size for a small family, and if it's near a water source, easy to fill up periodically. no need for the biggest sizes. Despite it being stainless steel, I don't get any metallic flavor, but we also drink enough that nothing is sitting stagnant for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
I guess it would depend on what you are trying to filter out. Here, if you are on city water it has to meet government standards and as such is safe to drink. That being the case there is no need for filters unless you are trying to filter out sediments or possibly chlorine in the water. Buying bottled water is a joke imo as it has to meet the same government standards as city water does.

Bob

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have an under the sink reverse osmosis water filter.
I have 'food things'.
I feel much better for it.
I think the issue for me is the chlorine.
I used to be ok by offgassing the water, but more recently it made me feel funny.

When I looked into it, it turns out the chloramine they now use is harder to filter out.
Anyway, I feel better for it, for sure (tap water makes me thirsty :) for one thing )

p.b

Forum GOD!
I have an under the sink reverse osmosis water filter.
Anyway, I feel better for it, for sure (tap water makes me thirsty :) for one thing )
I used to have a RO system and my kettle was never more sparkly! I also noticed that RO water doesn't quench the thirst like tap water, which was good as I then drank more of it. RO is an extreme solution but if you want 'filtered' water then there's nothing to beat it.

@saj1985 the fact you're having such a reaction to sugar withdrawal should tell you something. Just start drinking water as a first step and limit yourself to one can of Coke at the weekend, the mood swings should be temporary - if they are not then see a doctor and maybe adjust your anti-depressant meds. If you don't like the taste of water RO makes it virtually tasteless at the expense of the system, cost of the filters every 6 months and a right PITA to change them. Alternatively get some cider apple vinegar with mother (Aspalls in Sainsbury's or Tesco for ~£2.60) and add a teaspoon in a pint of water and it makes the water much more interesting and theoretically healthy - this is what I do as I find water boring to drink.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Adding to p.b's comments, I have almost given up white sugar, except when it's used in, for example fish sauce. I will do a small cheat maybe once a week or sometimes every second week, but I'm generally okay because I've eliminated white sugar but not sweetness.

For me, instead of slowly reducing my sugar intake, I just switched to alternatives such that my sweet tooth was satisfied while getting off of white sugar as quickly as possible. I now take a tiny bit of honey with my coffee instead. And I eat lots of fruits. For me, it took about a week until the cravings started to go away. I can now pass a Starbucks or the ice cream section in the grocery store without any issues. Yeah, the unhealthy stuff can be more satisfying, but I'm perfectly happy with the trade-offs, especially if I feel a lot better afterward.

Grarea

Forum Plod

The withdrawal issues should gradually improve, but might take a few weeks to completely go.
It is normal to feel worse when you first cut sugar out.
Bear with it, drink plenty of water as p.b. suggests.
You can find ways of making water more interesting, but it might take some effort if you are used to fizzy drinks.
I no longer have any interest in sugar or sugary drinks at all.
You do get there.
You will feel glad you did it.

Sodastream is quite fun.
I like fizzy water.
I am planning (when all the issues stop) on adding a big canister under the counter with an adapter to make the gas MUCH cheaper than those refills.
Also, teas and infusions can be quite fun.
Putting lemon juice in water.
Unlike p.b. I don't find changing the filters much of a problem :)
I wonder if mine is a different system or in an easier to access place.
Also, they are substantially cheaper than buying bottled water if that is what you are doing.
Also, unlike p.b., i find filtered water quenches my thirst WAY more than tap water which I found made me thirstier :)
I do have the 'remineralising' cartridge with it as well, might that be the difference?
Shows how different we all are.

D

Deleted member 2936

Understand you are from The Midlands which has some of the best tap drinking water in UK. If you are not happy with it, try a a filter jug. Probably a filter system a waste of money.
well where i am now the water tastes better and the guy from severn trent said its from wales apparently,
but where i was last time it just tasted nasty tbh

supposed to be hard water here in brum

D

Deleted member 2936

My old man lives near the Trent river and the tap water down in those midlands is rank. He wouldn't be without a filter whereas Yorkshire water and Northern Ireland I wouldn't see the need at all. I suppose it depends what your water where you are is like.
yea youre right, like im from lancashire originally and the water there is amazing, like sweet taste and yea yorkshire water is somewhat similar too

D

Deleted member 2936

We use to have one, but gave up on it a long time ago. Tap water in the U.K. is some of the best quality in the world and better than bottled. A soda stream would give you that fizz, there are also low sugar syrups you can add. My daughter has a drink bottle that has a middle segment which we add a few berries to and it flavours the water, so a good natural source of flavour.
me and the mrs got those water tracker bottles from morrisons the other day in the hope we'll drink more water tbh,
essentially its just a water bottle with time markers and reminders to finish the bottle by about 6PM and its about 700ml but you can get them different sizes though

this the one i got in light blue

D

Deleted member 2936

We have a Berkey Water Filter, the specific model is Big Berkey. It filters out heavy metals [EDIT: and Chlorine] but not minerals and other presumably good stuff. This model is a good size for a small family, and if it's near a water source, easy to fill up periodically. no need for the biggest sizes. Despite it being stainless steel, I don't get any metallic flavor, but we also drink enough that nothing is sitting stagnant for extended periods of time.
i just had a session in homeopathy in the hop[e it will help with my health issues,
she mention about getting a water filter and interestingly enough she mentioned berky and ssent me a link for this one below

what really surprised me was that she said brita isnt all that and i always assumed they were one of the best as although i dont know anything about water filters, brita is just the first name that comes to mind when i think of water filters

those berkey ones look expensive, how much are the filters on them? and how long do they last mate?