Any runners on here?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Dipesh, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dipesh

Dipesh Forum GOD! Staff Member

Evening all,

Just wonder if there are any runners on here?

After 3 months in India with work and eating plenty of butter chicken (which was wow!) I've put on a bit of weight.

I want to start to get out and enjoy the longer days we have so want to start to run.

Any runners on here who could give me some tips on getting started so I don't hurt myself and enjoy it a bit more?

Hope there are some runners on here!

Macanbhaird likes this.
  2. Nick_S

Nick_S Craft Beer Connoisseur

I used to run a lot in my younger, pre-knee injury days. I am now confined to low impact exercise. Best advice I can give up front is buy the best running shoes you can afford, that support your feet properly. I'll leave the rest of the advice to seasoned runners, and stick to my treadmill or cross trainer :D

3. Nico1970

Nico1970 Forum GOD! Staff Member

I used to do a bit of jogging but lost my running mojo :meh:

Subscribed - who can get me started again?

Macanbhaird likes this.
  4. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

Went for my first 5.7 mile run last week. I normally go out as near as damn it power walking but needed the challenge. Dead chuffed that I managed it but my right quad/groin ain't been quite right since. Honestly, I'd advise you to get out walking or better still hill walking if you have any decent ones nearby. Walking up our local hills is exhilarating and tremendously rewarding when you reach the top. Two and half years ago I was 21st12lb, smoking and could barely walk round the block. Now I'm a svelte 15st 8lb as of this morning and walk at least 30 miles per week and workout 5 nights out of 7. It can be done. If an erse like me can do it, you can beast it no bother! Stick it, fella!!! :bravo:

5. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I ran for a bus a while ago, didn't like it !

6. steve wilson

steve wilson Forum GOD!

Look up park run. They should have a local run near you. They will have runs to suit all abilities

Rowlers and Dipesh like this.
  7. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

Second the trainer thing.

I used to run a lot.
    But the last ten years. Nope.
    Now, I struggle to run across the road. Everything feels weird.
    I have been pretty sedentary the last three years as well.
    Van driving and pc work rather than lifting and shifting.

I am due to start again.
    If you haven't run before or for a while, it is all about strengthening everything up first.
    Sinews, tendons, etc etc etc. You strain something like that quite easily.

So, I have been getting some walking done.
    I go out and march up hill now.
    I am also losing a bit of weight before I start.

The next stage will be just running short distances.
    Even thirty seconds run, thirty seconds walk.
    Take it gentle. Get everything strengthened. Don't push hard at the beginning.
    You will feel things getting better quite quickly.

(This is advice to me mainly because I have a tendency to plough right on in there.)

I always used to make sure that I had a pint of water an hour before running as well.
    Then it should be where you want it.
    In your system, not your bladder or stomach.

I also like to time things.
    Especially at the beginning.
    You get to see improvements which is quite encouraging.

8. Blackland Razors

Blackland Razors Forum GOD! Artisan

I'm a fairly avid runner with a few marathons and triathlons under my belt. I'm by no means good, but I do run. My advice is to just run. Don't complicate it. Just put on your shoes and run until you feel like stopping. Soon enough you won't feel like stopping as early. So then you'll run more. Easy peasy. Getting out the door is the hardest part.

Macanbhaird, dowsing, halvor and 3 others like this.
  9. Gairdner

Gairdner Forum DOG!

10. Dipesh

Dipesh Forum GOD! Staff Member

Great advice there, run 2 starts tonight!

Rowlers likes this.
  11. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

How's the running going?

12. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

I've started to pick up the running little more. Anything between 2 and 5 miles so far. I don't intend to go much further than this. Short and sharp. Approx 8min/mile. Used to hate it, now I'm enjoying it!

Macanbhaird likes this.
  13. Dj-Steved

Dj-Steved Brush Addict

I also need to start back up running again. At 48 my waist size is creeping up and I dont want it to match my age.

Eight years ago I was running 25 miles a week but I'd struggle to run 1 now. I always seem to find an excuse

Macanbhaird likes this.
  14. D_SM

D_SM Über Member

I've been running since a December last year..run about 10k at least once a week.

Getting a gait analysis where they check you running style is great for getting the Igbo pair of shoes for you.

Macanbhaird likes this.
  15. Futurerabbit1

Futurerabbit1 Über Member

Late to the post but yes I would call myself a runner now :happy:.
    I started over a year ago and did 5ks on the road and on the treadmill and trained for my first 10k race .

I did great but injured myself unfortunately by pushing too much ! But now with 12 weeks out I'm now back to It again and running and loving it .

I would say anyone trying should give it a go , just get out there and do it , you'll feel awesome afterwards and as soon as you get out there and start running you're a runner so enjoy it and have fun :okay:.

dowsing, Nico1970 and Rowlers like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice