Another Synth brush thread (Omega EVO)

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I’m looking for some user feedback and options regarding synth brushes.

Synthetic brushes have finally clicked with me. I’ve tried several brushes but never liked the feel, they were either too springy or too floppy, basically too much backbone or not enough.

I eventually found a couple I liked, the Simpsons T3 with Sovereign fibres and the AP Shave Co SynBad. Both aren’t perfect but close to what I’m looking for.

The latest Omega EVO 2.0 seems popular. Would you say the Omega with the (Silversynth) knot behaves like the Sovereign or SynBad knots?

Cheers
Rob

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
I'll second the AP shave G5C. I was very lucky and @Gairdner offered me a spare knot in a brush he made for me and I've yet to find a better brush. My brushes price wise are quite low to mid end but not found anything better as of yet. The synbad is softer and enjoyable but I am tempted to off load a lot of my brushes for another G5C in another handle. Its better than the PAA and Yaqi brushes I've tried and any of my badger or boar.

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Rob,

If the Simpsons T3 Sovereign and the AP Shave Co SynBad are close to your preferences, I reckon you're still not there.
Only solution I'm afraid is to keep looking, which equates to keep trying.

Eventually you're gonna have to ask about and sample even less common models, e.g. Plisson (the one with the latest white fibre) etc.

Now there are some little hidden secrets in this craft, which means that your comprehension on how these different fibres suit your taste and skin can be substantially increased with some further enquiry and reading.

I've found my 'best' items for now, so I am not really up-to-date with the Frank Shaving G4 or G5 knots, etc. but for example Simpsons, Muhle and Plisson reportedly use the same fibre (old data and I stand to be corrected). This is the stuff you have to be familiar with if you want to possess greater understanding so as to improve your purchasing choices.

My take is that it is not just the fibre or knot. The shaving brush is the sum of how the knot and the handle work together, for the specific soaps, creams or lathering technique you are using. I've found my nirvana with the Muhle 21mm dia. synth knots, which happen to be replaceable (they screw-in to the handle). In terms of fibre technology they are kind of outdated but once something works, you need nothing more (at least for the time being).

There are plenty of experienced members here who continuously test new technology knots/fibres (e.g. G4/G5) and I am sure they can enlight you much more on the merits of the newest knots.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Rob,

If the Simpsons T3 Sovereign and the AP Shave Co SynBad are close to your preferences, I reckon you're still not there.
Only solution I'm afraid is to keep looking, which equates to keep trying.

Eventually you're gonna have to ask about and sample even less common models, e.g. Plisson (the one with the latest white fibre) etc.

Now there are some little hidden secrets in this craft, which means that your comprehension on how these different fibres suit your taste and skin can be substantially increased with some further enquiry and reading.

I've found my 'best' items for now, so I am not really up-to-date with the Frank Shaving G4 or G5 knots, etc. but for example Simpsons, Muhle and Plisson reportedly use the same fibre (old data and I stand to be corrected). This is the stuff you have to be familiar with if you want to possess greater understanding so as to improve your purchasing choices.

My take is that it is not just the fibre or knot. The shaving brush is the sum of how the knot and the handle work together, for the specific soaps, creams or lathering technique you are using. I've found my nirvana with the Muhle 21mm dia. synth knots, which happen to be replaceable (they screw-in to the handle). In terms of fibre technology they are kind of outdated but once something works, you need nothing more (at least for the time being).

There are plenty of experienced members here who continuously test new technology knots/fibres (e.g. G4/G5) and I am sure they can enlight you much more on the merits of the newest knots.
Thanks K. Good to hear from you. Sage advice as usual.

I'll be buying G5C knots and I'll probably buy the latest EVO brushes soon to. 👍

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
What floats your boat knot wise Rob? What would be your ideal brush?
My favourite brush is the SV HMW but finding a synthetic to get even close to that is a very high bar.

A more realistic baseline would be a 26 to 28 finest badger (Maseto or OUMO) , not cloud soft but no scritch. Backbone would be bang in the middle, not too floppy buy not super dense. I also prefer a bulb to a fan.

Wintermute

Forum GOD!
I haven't tried the v2 EVO brush but I did have an original EVO. I found it far too stiff to comfortably use much like the Simpons Chubby synthetic, they're fine for painting lather but no good if you want splay. I'd be interested to hear what the v2 EVO is like.

The G5C knot is excellent but again because I like splay I set mine quite high. It still has backbone but not so much that it's nail stiff.

Wayne

Forum Sod
My favourite brush is the SV HMW but finding a synthetic to get even close to that is a very high bar.

A more realistic baseline would be a 26 to 28 finest badger (Maseto or OUMO) , not cloud soft but no scritch. Backbone would be bang in the middle, not too floppy buy not super dense. I also prefer a bulb to a fan.
You are going to struggle then Rob to be honest. The best thing you can do when changing from Badger to Synth is to not to try and compere Apples to Oranges. You'll never get the same feel of the SV from a Synth just like you wouldn't if you changed to a Boar.
they all have their own qualities, pro's and con's.
Bulbs are not a shape I've really come across in Synths, the knot closest to the SV are the AP Shave Co 2Bed and the Silksmoke but if you want backbone you'll have to set them low into the handle you choose. I suggest setting them with a well worked blob of Bluetack to test the feel, enough to test it on the face, you can then silicone it in.
Hope this helps?