Another HMRC / RM / AliExpress Rant...

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Bought an item of Ali Express for the grand sum of £12.85 including postage. Didn't even cross mind my mind that there would be any RM/HMRC issues, but lo and behold a ransom note for £11.11 (£3.11 VAT + £8.00 admin fee) was waiting for me today.

Anyway, after coughing up the ransom I checked the package. Value on the CN22 was $20. Not usually an issue, but since the Pound has plummeted it is: $20 = £15.54 at current rates. Well meaning, but ill-informed seller was using $20 as a default value. Fine if you are in the US and almost certainly the Euro zone, but not any more in the UK.

Pedantic HMRC then apply a £3.11 VAT charge for a package that's less than £1 above the threshold and RM then gleefully apply their £8 fee on top. Worst still is that whilst I can challenge the VAT charge with HMRC by supplying the original invoice; the RM ransom fee is gone for good due to the CN22 being incorrect (that's only refunded if the CN22 is correct, but misread).

Have raised a dispute on Ali Express, but not holding out much hope.

Utterly and abjectly p**sed off :thumbsdown:

Nisse

Old geezer
Been there, done that, but life is really too short for being seriously pissed off at 11 pounds.

Last edited:

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Bought an item of Ali Express for the grand sum of £12.85 including postage. Didn't even cross mind my mind that there would be any RM/HMRC issues, but lo and behold a ransom note for £11.11 (£3.11 VAT + £8.00 admin fee) was waiting for me today.

Anyway, after coughing up the ransom I checked the package. Value on the CN22 was $20. Not usually an issue, but since the Pound has plummeted it is: $20 = £15.54 at current rates. Well meaning, but ill-informed seller was using $20 as a default value. Fine if you are in the US and almost certainly the Euro zone, but not any more in the UK.

Pedantic HMRC then apply a £3.11 VAT charge for a package that's less than £1 above the threshold and RM then gleefully apply their £8 fee on top. Worst still is that whilst I can challenge the VAT charge with HMRC by supplying the original invoice; the RM ransom fee is gone for good due to the CN22 being incorrect (that's only refunded if the CN22 is correct, but misread).

Have raised a dispute on Ali Express, but not holding out much hope.

Utterly and abjectly p**sed off :thumbsdown:
The "like" was thanks for the info, not your predicament Sean.
A weak pound may only be the tip of the iceberg.