Anbody use a dashcam?

I really ought to sort one out, I keep meaning to but just don't seem to get around to it. I had an accident with a cyclist over 3 years ago which had no witnesses and dragged on and on, a Dashcam would have cleared me. Only last week had a very close thing with another vehicle and back on my mind again. When I have checked them out the Blackvues are always what I would/should get.

D

Deleted member 476

After someone recently tried to back up into me while stopped at traffic light and what I suspect was an attempt at accident fraud, I have decided to outfit all my household vehicles with dash cams this Christmas. I read that for around $100 on Amazon, VIOFO A119 V2 Dash Camera is a good option. My main concern is that its been available for 18 months already and technology today moves at lightning speed. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
I bought 3 FalconZero dashcams for all of our cars. One of them with the separate GPS sensor (records location, speed, etc.) for my daughter's car.
All record flawless HD video (no audio, thank God!). Only records forward though. I need to think of a solution to record the back of the car.

D

Deleted member 476

I need to think of a solution to record the back of the car.
I thought of this too but in Alberta, Canada, vehicles don't require a front plate and like most places, if you drive into the back of someone, you're always at fault. I could see it useful if someone was to bump and cause damage while street parking, but is there other reasons for a rear-view that I am not considering?

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
Well, I imagine that the whole purpose of any dashcam is to record video evidence of any crime or accident whether your vehicle is involved or not.
I know that a lot of lorries (big trucks) have video surveillance systems which record forward/behind/sides.

I bit the bullet and fitted a Garmin 55 plus the kit to wire into the fusebox. Seems to work very well, I feel more "protected" than before.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Old thread bump.

Neighbour sent me some dash cam footage Of someone ”cutting her up“. Difficult to not tell her what for. She was at a roundabout in a right turn lane. She is going straight ahead with the road marks left lane straight ahead and left. So both her and car in front go on to the roundabout. She moves to the left, potentially cutting up someone on the inside left lane. As she goes on a van pulls on the roundabout turning left so she moves right as the ahead lane has a filter in (two lanes) without signalling. Then the car that was in front of her on the approach to the roundabout over takes her. She’s not happy with that car. FFS ! If both were in the left lane at the roundabout !!! No cars damaged but she is one of them that’s always right. Drives like a lunatic speeding in and out the Close as it is. There is no telling her. Devon and Cornwall police have operation snap where u can send in footage and they will prosecute, would be funny if she handed that in as they would do her for it.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
There is a you tube cyclist who rides around London filming drivers by peering in to stationery cars to see if they are using their phones, these cars are waiting in traffic, drivers may be looking for directions or whatever. No regard to whether he may also be filming children or younger women, everyone is filmed whether they are breaking the law or not. He uploads the recording to a Police website and sees himself as a public avenger despite breaking rules of the road himself, one day someone will punch his lights out.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
There is a you tube cyclist who rides around London filming drivers by peering in to stationery cars to see if they are using their phones, these cars are waiting in traffic, drivers may be looking for directions or whatever. No regard to whether he may also be filming children or younger women, everyone is filmed whether they are breaking the law or not. He uploads the recording to a Police website and sees himself as a public avenger despite breaking rules of the road himself, one day someone will punch his lights out.
You need to be so careful these days around cyclists, one of the main reasons I hve a dash cam. I allow them plenty of space but they can be so unpredictable. And you do get the road warriors on bikes, Jeremy Vine being one who seems to find so much trouble on the roads. Make you think what is he up to ?

semajohn

Forum GOD!
After having an accident where the third party lied and I got 100% of the blame (cut in, braked and I went into the back of them).

Front and rear on the car cheap thing from Amazon (Yi)
Front and rear on the motorbike I use daily (Innov)
Helmet cam for when I ride the second bike (Hero8)

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
This sounds mercenary but would driving improve if dash cam users uploaded footage of illegal motorists to a Police site in return for a percentage of the fine?

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
This sounds mercenary but would driving improve if dash cam users uploaded footage of illegal to a Police site in return for a percentage of the fine?
Devon and Cornwall police want the footage and do act on it. BUT !!!!! You have to be careful yourself. Easy to incriminate yourself if say you are over the speed limit. Mine is satellite linked so knows where you are and gives an acurate speed. Some insurance companies offer discounts if you have a dash cam too. I have a NextBase 522 with a rear cam attached, it also covers the car should someone knock it when it’s parked up.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Devon and Cornwall police want the footage and do act on it. BUT !!!!! You have to be careful yourself. Easy to incriminate yourself if say you are over the speed limit. Mine is satellite linked so knows where you are and gives an acurate speed. Some insurance companies offer discounts if you have a dash cam too. I have a NextBase 522 with a rear cam attached, it also covers the car should someone knock it when it’s parked up.
I was watching a Youtube vid of someone road testing a BMW motorcycle, a newish model 1800cc cruiser type bike, the rider had a Go Pro on the bars facing forwards and she wasn't driving fast but in the space of 10 minutes she broke at least three rules including overtaking on double white lines, going through a red light and not indicating at junctions. You must be a numpty to post vids of yourself breaking the law.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I have a very old Nextbase which is reaching the end. Must be 7 years old.

Curious which brands are making decent cameras these days. Having a brick currently stuck to the windscreen - looking for a smaller/discreet camera. Seen the Garmin Mini 2 and Viofo A119 v3 receiving decent reviews.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Viofo is the only one I know, I think the A129 with a 64 SD card, I don't know your skills but I would be tempted to have one professionally installed.

Depending on where you park, for example inner city, I would research how you can reduce the risk of car break ins to steal your dash cam.

Edited to amend dodgy auto correct

Last edited: