An Auction I Really Regret Losing

I have found the Gillette New Deluxe to be my favorite razor. More than any other razor it gives me spectacular, comfortable and blood free shaves with a BBS result. So I was watching an auction on that site by the bay for a razor that the seller may not have known what it was since he did not identify it as a New Deluxe. Anyway, I was perfectly poised to take it but was too impetuous and put in my bid just a couple seconds too soon. I was the winning bidder when submitted but I left the other guy enough time to quickly beat me by $1. Hopefully it went to one of the fine gentlemen here. But know this. I learned a very valuable lesson on that one. Next time I'll be ready.

GoReds

Über Member
I have found the Gillette New Deluxe to be my favorite razor. More than any other razor it gives me spectacular, comfortable and blood free shaves with a BBS result. So I was watching an auction on that site by the bay for a razor that the seller may not have known what it was since he did not identify it as a New Deluxe. Anyway, I was perfectly poised to take it but was too impetuous and put in my bid just a couple seconds too soon. I was the winning bidder when submitted but I left the other guy enough time to quickly beat me by $1. Hopefully it went to one of the fine gentlemen here. But know this. I learned a very valuable lesson on that one. Next time I'll be ready.
Well we know now whom to address for advice when we want to buy something on the bay.

Dr Watson

The Other James
Ahhh, it’s you that keeps beating me......
LOL! I've not bid on anything recently :whistling:

I usually take the route of @flip-68 - put my max bid in and leave it.
Usually pushes the price up a fair bit as other like minded bidders do the same...

I'll only put a bid on early for one of two reasons, 1) To remove the "best offer" option so nobody else can grab it or 2) To provide some incentive for the seller to keep it in auction, on quite a few occasions now a seller has withdrawn an item I intended to win due to some private offer they've received, if there's a bid already on it that's usually enough to stop them entertaining offers.

Well, my lesson learned resulted in a win. I posted my bid for another New Deluxe and got it this time at a price several dollars short of what I have seen others trading for. My RAD is now abated. Probably just temporarily.

motto

Veteran
Congratulation - nice that it worked out this time. Please post some pictures when the razor has arrived.

sev-8

Guru
With the snipers, any worries about providing them with your eBay password? It makes me very uneasy, but has anyone has negative experiences using them?

Benz3ne

Legendary Member
Mine was a Kyoei straight, white scales, 'natural' type of finish on the handle with a polished blade. Really pretty thing and I lost out by a couple of quid. In retrospect, and thinking logically, I perhaps wouldn't own it now as I offed all my straights a while back, but it's one that has definitely stuck with me.