An Auction I Really Regret Losing

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by MntnMan62, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

I have found the Gillette New Deluxe to be my favorite razor. More than any other razor it gives me spectacular, comfortable and blood free shaves with a BBS result. So I was watching an auction on that site by the bay for a razor that the seller may not have known what it was since he did not identify it as a New Deluxe. Anyway, I was perfectly poised to take it but was too impetuous and put in my bid just a couple seconds too soon. I was the winning bidder when submitted but I left the other guy enough time to quickly beat me by $1. Hopefully it went to one of the fine gentlemen here. But know this. I learned a very valuable lesson on that one. Next time I'll be ready.

2. GoReds

GoReds Senior Member

Well we know now whom to address for advice when we want to buy something on the bay.

3. flip-68

flip-68 Forum GOD!

there'll be another one along soon enough - i don't bother with sniping - i usually bid as high as i want to go and leave it there - less stress that way

4. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

I mostly use auctionstealer, set and forget :hotdrink:

Better luck on the next one.

Grishnak likes this.
  5. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Gixen is good too although I usually take the route of @flip-68 - put my max bid in and leave it.

flip-68 likes this.
  6. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

Ahhh, it’s you that keeps beating me......

GoReds likes this.
  7. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

LOL! I've not bid on anything recently :whistling:

Usually pushes the price up a fair bit as other like minded bidders do the same...

I'll only put a bid on early for one of two reasons, 1) To remove the "best offer" option so nobody else can grab it or 2) To provide some incentive for the seller to keep it in auction, on quite a few occasions now a seller has withdrawn an item I intended to win due to some private offer they've received, if there's a bid already on it that's usually enough to stop them entertaining offers.

Rowlers likes this.
  8. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

D932EB0A-FA49-41DB-9EB0-EDAD6FF0B163.png
    Me too, but patience is sometimes required.
    I managed to get this for £9 odd, but it took a few to slip through my fingers first

Bizzyberry, Nishy and Rowlers like this.
  9. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

I do that too, too many people sniping.

flip-68 likes this.
  10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Well, my lesson learned resulted in a win. I posted my bid for another New Deluxe and got it this time at a price several dollars short of what I have seen others trading for. My RAD is now abated. Probably just temporarily.

flip-68 and R181 like this.
  11. motto

motto Über Member

Congratulation - nice that it worked out this time. Please post some pictures when the razor has arrived.

12. sev-8

sev-8 Guru

With the snipers, any worries about providing them with your ebay password? It makes me very uneasy, but has anyone has negative experiences using them?

13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Here's a pic of the razor. And no cracks in the handle. I'm going to stick it on an Ikon Bulldog handle.

IMG_1028.jpeg

flip-68, HMan, Britva and 2 others like this.
  14. Tester28

Tester28 Noob

No...they need it to bid on your behalf.

15. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Mine was a Kyoei straight, white scales, 'natural' type of finish on the handle with a polished blade. Really pretty thing and I lost out by a couple of quid. In retrospect, and thinking logically, I perhaps wouldn't own it now as I offed all my straights a while back, but it's one that has definitely stuck with me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice