Review Alpha OUTLAW - DE 316L STAINLESS. FULLY MACHINED Prototype V3

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Evening Gents, it seems Steve from Alpha. Shaving has branched out from brushes and has been busy working on an all SS DE razor.

The review is not mine but from someone who's managed to get themselves a prototype to trail.

My Interest is peeked I must say.

Last edited:

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
The only negative I see is if you are a believer in needing a rigid blade there is not much support from the baseplate as far as pinch points close to the edge.
When you say rigid do you mean clamped flat? From what i'm reading it seems rigid all be it curved as well by the posts, but it is rigid.... unless i'm mistaken.

vlasta

Cow Punch
Vendor
Yeah everyone has preferences - later I will show you how it started life on prototype #1 The blade was nearly flat and stuck out about 4mm none of which was apparent from the CAD drawings. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so we did 3 prototype runs and refined this every time until we are where we are now.

The production model which is in effect the same as prototype #3 has a lot of torque in the blade as you can see from the photo below. The clamp to blade edge measurement is 5.44mm - exactly the same as the '89 type heads. The blade torquing ensures that the blade is snug against the top cap. Worry not dear shavers - there is no issue with inadequate blade clamping. The blade gap is 0.71mm and the angle is 30.5º - head width is 43.5mm so no tabs showing. Blade exposure with a standard blade is 0.05mm - i.e. a fanny's hair exposed, giving it that touch more aggression.

1579516103471.png

Last edited:

vlasta

Cow Punch
Vendor
What about ATGs prototype for review?? :D :D
We had to keep the process kind of under wraps a bit AND... each prototype round cost me - wait for it... $332.04 for each head and each prototype needed two heads - one for me and one for Executive Shaving - my partner in crime in all this. So that is initial CAD expenses of over $1500 and then three prototype runs at $664 each time.

TobyC

Patriot
The fulcrum must be close to the edge of the blade.