Allum stick

Scubasteve

Well-Known Member
Hello, the other day I bought a allum stick a large one that can be rubbed all over your face. Not like a styptic pencil.


I am curious if anyone is using one...it really tightens the skin no oil of play needed 😁😁
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Using one is a good indication of how your technique is going and obviously good at stopping nicks bleeding
 

Nisse

Old geezer
I try to avoid making skin dry, not a fan either of the idea of alum killing bacteria, so I pass on face deodorant. (except in case of mishaps when shaving - has happened twice - stick worked as advertised stopping bleeding)
 
Last edited:

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I use an alum block after every single shave for the last 4 years. The amount of feedback or sting that I feel tells me how smooth my shave was, or how much irritation I created with poor technique. I rub it on my face and let it sit while I clean up my gear and the sink. I then wash it off with a cold water rinse. I also like how it seems to tighten my face a bit. I follow it with witch hazel.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I try to avoid making skin dry, not a fan either of the idea of alum killing bacteria, so I pass on face deodorant. (except in case of mishaps when shaving - has happened twice - stick worked as advertised stopping bleeding)
If you have a problem with dry skin alum is not really that good an idea as you would need a good balm afterwards. For those, like myself, who have naturally oily skin using alum might be helpful. Oily skin along with bacteria will foster those ugly facial pimples to break out. I suffered those all my life and after using alum post shave have seen those disappear. My skin is oily enough that I never use a balm even in winter.

Bob
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My skin is neither oily nor dry and I find alum leaves my face uncomfortably tight and dry. I find that a nice alcohol-based aftershave does all I need post-shave, especially if it contains a touch of menthol. The alcohol does not dry my skin; instead it leaves my face feeling clean, fresh and invigorated. The opposite for me is an Aftershave balm, which leaves my face feeling oily and in need of a good scrub.
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
My skin is neither oily nor dry and I find alum leaves my face uncomfortably tight and dry. I prefer a nice alcohol-based aftershave does all I need post-shave, especially if it contains a touch of menthol. The alcohol does not dry my skin; instead it leaves my face feeling clean, fresh and invigorated. The opposite for me is an Aftershave balm, which leaves my face feeling oily and in need of a good scrub.
Yes, you have to find out what works for your own skin. I can take some experimentation to find that out.

Bob
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I find that if I leave the alum on the face for a longer time, it is hard to rinse and makes skin even drier. But if you have a bad shave, or a wedding coming next to attend, it seems like a saviour.

A good aftershave lotion like Floid is all I need. And this is said by a balm guy even in summer!
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
The floid aftershave how do you find it?,As far as scent?

I have been considering floid but can only buy online no sampling.

The Mrs doesn't like me smelling like a grandpa from a barber shop
The smell is disgusting for me but the face feel is excellent. No other lotion can reach Floid's performance.
 

Dr Watson

James
If you have a problem with dry skin alum is not really that good an idea as you would need a good balm afterwards. For those, like myself, who have naturally oily skin using alum might be helpful. Oily skin along with bacteria will foster those ugly facial pimples to break out. I suffered those all my life and after using alum post shave have seen those disappear. My skin is oily enough that I never use a balm even in winter.

Bob
Exactly the same here, right down to suffering with break outs until I started using an alum bloc post shave (rinse, apply, leave for 1 min whilst cleaning up and then rinse off.) Wouldn't be without one now.
 
Top