All the years of shaving and SE rocks

sonoma95446

I've used DE Razors mostly Gillette adjustable for 37 years. Tried Merkur adjustable and own a Progress, Vision and a Futur and use Feather blades although I have tried them all. I found the Single edge artisan Blades to last longer get narrow spots better (they are longer but less then half as wide. Own a Asylum Stainless DX, Above the Tie SE1 and SE2, Colonial General 316L, Razor rock aluminum, El Jeffe Ikon, Claymore Stainless and have tried the One Blade and Gems from friends etc. You are stuck with it's blades unless you want to get custom blades. I find that the Single edge or SE blades are stiffer but sharper more consistent and last longer. The Asylum while a beautiful razor is a bit to aggressive for me. The One core is not aggressive but probably would work for somebody with money to burn and little or no experience with such things as it's relatively safe. I regularly use both ATT SE1 and SE2 and Love the new and inexpensive El Jeffe by iKon but with a Weber Stainless steel bulldog handle. Whether short or long I have 2 of each and these handles are great. The iKon that I bought with the El-Jeffe is countersunk and tends to want to strip the threads unless your careful although it's visual and measurements are extremely close to the iKon. I have sold most of my 3 piece DE razors including Merkur’s and Muhler’s and find the Vision (no longer made and another beautiful razor to be too heavy and never liked the shave and after a week have put it in the box and will sell it when I get around to it. The Progress and the Futur are great if you want a double edge. The Maggard 3 piece DE is a great deal. By the way Maggard has nice fountain pen stands that are 13.5mm for those same Bulldog handles from iKon and Weber. The Razor rock SE aluminum is less then $30 with handle but the single is not at all right for me. So in short, if your tight on money the $45 head on the El Jeffe Heavy aluminum alloy head $45 combined with a stainless handle which is around $25 is a great start and the Above the Tie or ATT SE1/SE2 works for most people although the open comb design of the se2 is great and they can be bought together with a handle for less then $200 in Stainless. The Feather Pros, Kai Captain Milds, and Pro Guard if you want to start with training wheels are all great and I highly recommend going to tryablade.com and getting a Artist SE starter pack with a 11 different single edge blades for around $21 with shipping to see what you like. They also have a 110 different double edge DE blade pack to try for $38.30 with shipping. Whether its 11 different or 110 different it beats the one type with the OneBlade. The Roconol SE Just became available and I just cant shell out $230 for it but it probably rocks. Tried the whole mess and keep ending up using the ATT SE2 or if my skin is a little pimpled the El Jeffe. I used the fine part opf an emery board to smooth out the bottom of the ATT SE2 plate as the CNN cuts were a bit harsh. Now it glides nicely. In closing, I have to point out that even with though it’s made with a heavy aluminum alloy and doesn’t fit perfectly, the El Jeffe is my favorite with the Weber Bulldog handle.

Galhatz

Forum GOD!
I found the Ikon MR-SE to be a little too aggressive for my liking. I sold I to a friend that likes aggressive razors and he could not be happier.

The Colonial General is my favorite razor, the head design is very efficient, while remaining smooth and the safety bar is there doing it's job: keeping me safe.
I used to shave with straight razors and still use them from time to time, especially the Feather DX. This is why safety razors with a lot of blade exposure don't appeal, if adventure is what I want I have my straight razors.
Also, shaving with straight razors made me develop better control and a preference light razors.
The Aluminum construction puts the razor at 30-45 grams which I prefer over the 100+ grams stainless steel ones.
The only downside for the Colonial General is the thin slippery handle. I swapped it with the handle from a RazoRock Baby Smooth. Perfect.

But shaving with the perfect razor everyday is boring, after a while.
I went back to try my trusty RazoRock Hawk, first version. They are actually pretty darn good. The angle is "built in", so when I used it same as I do, as of habit with the General, I got a rough unpleasant result. That angle is actually not subtle, the handle need to be almost facing the floor and then - an excellent shave. It might have taken a bit more work than with the General, but an excellent comfortable shave nonetheless and if something prolongs the shaving experience it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Considering their price and value-for-price, the RazoRock Hawks are an outstanding deal. I say Hawks because I have them in both finishes... and now the V2 are out. I must give Joe credit for making it clear that the new version shaves the same as the old one.

I am now waiting for the Above The Tie SE1 to arrive and will post my impressions once I have the chance to get familiar with it.