Aggressive razors

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, how the edge feels does depend on the person honing the razor and how their skills are as well as what type of hones they use, natural or synthetic. The type of steel and how well it was made add into that as well. If any of it is out of sync, the edge can feel harsh. I guess that a harsh razor might be considered an aggressive razor but the same razor honed differently may have a smooth edge so does that make it a mild razor? There is always a lot of discussion about edges and how they feel amongst dedicated SR users but I have never heard the term Aggressive applied to a SR.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes, how the edge feels does depend on the person honing the razor and how their skills are as well as what type of hones they use, natural or synthetic. The type of steel and how well it was made add into that as well. If any of it is out of sync, the edge can feel harsh. I guess that a harsh razor might be considered an aggressive razor but the same razor honed differently may have a smooth edge so does that make it a mild razor? There is always a lot of discussion about edges and how they feel amongst dedicated SR users but I have never heard the term Aggressive applied to a SR.

Bob
Yes I fully agree a bit of dark area regarding aggression, as you implied I prefer to use the descriptive term 'smoothness'. Perhaps efficiency and aggression suffer the same issue when considering DE razors? What I do consider confusing is that I hone most my razors and can still appreciate differences in grind and steel type. Of course human error may have a part to play.

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes I fully agree a bit of dark area regarding aggression, as you implied I prefer to use the descriptive term 'smoothness'. Perhaps efficiency and aggression suffer the same issue when considering DE razors? What I do consider confusing is that I hone most my razors and can still appreciate differences in grind and steel type. Of course human error may have a part to play.
Yes, I think of an aggressive DE is a very officiant DE that works well within a very narrow set of parameters revolving around basic techniques with little tolerance for sloppiness in that regard. Yes, the feel of the shave varies with the grind of a SR and the type of steel. Oth if you hone a SR razor the way it wants to be honed you wind up with a smooth shaving SR regardless of grind or steel type. They still do feel slightly different if that makes sense.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
Secondly I also read that the skin adapts after a set time with continuous straight razor shaving. If this is true then perhaps this may improve comfort amongst more aggressive DE razors.
I believe this to be true, and if you get into the habit of not shaving every day you have to start over when you start shaving every day again.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
With the exception of the odd lazy day I shave daily, this might explain my preference for mild razors as I usually only have to deal with 24 hours' stubble and I don’t want to have to deal with not being able to shave the next day due to irritation.

R181

Grumpy old man
I have shaved nearly every day for 50 years and the only time I have had irritation was when I messed up not the razor. Appears everyone is different.

Bob

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
I can’t contribute because I don’t understand how it works. I get a smoother/nick free shave more often with a straight than by any other method, but I follow with a safety for pickups just because I don’t get perfect bbs with a straight alone. I take the same DE for a full shave and end up with a little irritation. I don’t get a good shave from a shavette. Yesterday’s shave with an Rx was near perfect, but with that razor I think I have never been able to get a nick free shave. I don’t understand.