After shave with Mastika Water and Aloe Vera

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by N_Architect, Aug 23, 2018.

1. N_Architect

N_Architect Forum GOD!

Mastiha (in English pronounced Mastika) is a liquid spirit originating from the mastic (which is a tree resin from trees in Chios Island, Greece).

I've been suggested that a simple and nice aftershave solution, very soothing for the skin, can be easily made by mixing mastika (mastic) water and aloe vera. The organic aloe vera I managed to get from my local pharmacy earlier today may only be 99.9% pure and mixed with allantoin and panthenol but for all intentions and purposes of this simplified experiment I think it will suffice.

I prepared two bottles (full capacity 100ml and 50ml respectively), filled to the approximate level shown. I used a teaspoonful of aloe vera gel.

Will be trying the after shave solution tomorrow, I really have no clue if this will have any practical benefit but I understand a fellow wet shaver in Greece is using it with success (and reportedly he has sensitive skin and everything else he has so far tried has failed for him).

More on this soon.

P1060966.JPG
    The large (330cl) mastika water bottle contains carbonated mastic water and was purchased from my local supermarket.

P1060967.JPG P1060968.JPG P1060969.JPG

2. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Interested in how this works out...

N_Architect likes this.
  3. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

I'm also interested in hearing about this. My family are from cyprus so I know the scent of Mastika.

N_Architect likes this.
  4. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

What ever happened to this home made aftershave

5. N_Architect

N_Architect Forum GOD!

Thank you for reminding me to update...

It worked out really well.
    It's nothing spectacular, really, but especially in summer days it is very soothing and refreshing with the beautiful Mastik aroma.
    The idea and recipe was mentioned to me by @AkisT who said one of his acquaintances was using it.
    Subsequently Akis also mentioned that the recipe has been improved (by his friend), but to be honest we never sat down to discuss further.

AkisT likes this.
  6. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

Could you share your recipe?

7. AkisT

AkisT Senior Member

If i can manage to make it in time and buy some stuff (i think i've almost finished the aloe gel) , i'll bring you some onSunday.
    panoramix_400x400.jpg

As soon as i get back from the office i'll post the ingredients and the percentages. (it's very simple actually)

Long story short:
    A very good friend of mine (he's a wet shaver too) uses this recipe after decades of trying many products (most of them commercially available- some others not) to combat his terrible irritations he gets during and after his shaves. He probably has the most sensitive skin i've ever encountered.

After years of trial and error (and an endless money pit -spend to dermatologists) , and leaving a beard to no avail, he managed to make this soothing splash.
    It worked miraculous for his skin and i'm using it too as a summer splash. (ymmv applies as always)
    - the key to all this is to use the best prime ingredients you can get your hands on, make a small batch (0% preservatives) , keep it in the fridge and consume it in a timely manner of couple of months.

Eeyore and N_Architect like this.
  8. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

ευχαριστώ πολύ κύριε.

9. AkisT

AkisT Senior Member

The pleasure is all mine Sir. :)

10. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Did you guys manage to find aloe Vera gel without any E numbers, colourings and preservatives?

11. AkisT

AkisT Senior Member

Haven't thought that.
    Actually i get mine from a good chap that has a small plantation. This year i'm thinking of planting some of my own.
    But i had also purchased locally a gel that is quite good.I think it's produced in Spain (i'll post a photo in the afternoon) .

Eeyore and Nishy like this.
  12. AkisT

AkisT Senior Member

Homemade simple Mastiha splash (use as an after shave splash , or as a skin refresher during the summer dog days )
    55 % Mastiha Carbonated Water (if this is not available you can use a good quality sparkling water)
    35 % Bio Witch Hazel
    20% Aloe Vera (either gel or liquid form - the purer the better)

You can also add a few (5-6) drops of vitamin e .

Make a small batch - an amount of 100ml will last couple of months.
    Keep it in the refrigerator and use it for not more than 3-4 months, then you can make a new batch
    Shake well every time before use , splash on the face and then you can use your favourite balm or asl.

@Nishy ,
    This is the aloe vera gel i purchased from a local cosmetics supplier , made in Spain and 99.9% pure.

20190214_150534.jpg 20190214_150546.jpg

Nishy likes this.
  13. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

Aghhhhh I thought you'd used Chios Mastiha Liqueur Μαστίχα Χίου rather than the Mastiha Carbonated Water. Ok so yours is more like a toner

14. AkisT

AkisT Senior Member

:D
    Mate if i used the mastiha liquer , i would drop the aloe vera , add a slice of lemon and some ice ... Tally ho!

15. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

Lol, but honestly you should try it. If you think of it in the same way bayrum is made using a dark rum. And i've seen people make a AS splash with vodka then why not mastiha liquer

AkisT likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice