Advice on exercising when...

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by AngryIrish, Aug 19, 2018.

1. AngryIrish

AngryIrish Well-Known Member

Advice on exercising when your joints can hardly handle walking at times. Will be going to the doctor tomorrow actually, just wanted to see if y'all had anything that worked well for you?

2. jonmaddock

jonmaddock Guru

Little and often and don't push yourself too much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AngryIrish likes this.
  3. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

Yoga? Swimming? I’d be looking for something very low impact.

Driftwood and AngryIrish like this.
  4. Francorelli

Francorelli Forum fella

Low impact, minimal weight-bearing. Swimming and cycling have been good for me.

Stay as active as your body will allow, but don't push it when it's telling you to stop. Best of luck.

AngryIrish likes this.
  5. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I’m waiting for an op on an osteochondral defect injury. I’ve been advised until the op to take low impact and swimming was on the list. Been swimming a little while on holiday but I must say it did irritate it a little. I’m also on an exercise bike, all good for keeping the muscles ready for post op.

AngryIrish likes this.
  6. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

As gym advocate, I recall reading positive articles on weight training and improved walking. Logic was building the muscles helped the joints and stability. Obviously ask a professional or trainer before starting.

If home exercise, stationary bike. Perhaps try more walking. Start with 100' from front door and then back. If you feel ok, try 2 trips out and back next time.

Like the warning on all shaving soaps - discontinue if any irritation.

halvor, mark0, Grishnak and 2 others like this.
  7. AngryIrish

AngryIrish Well-Known Member

Swimming I love,but honestly I'm terrified of yoga, I'm prone to frequent dislocations and sprains.

8. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

+1

9. mark0

mark0 Über Member

Really good advice above. I think being consistent and listening to your body is the most important. Pick the activity you enjoy the most, start slow and try to build up little by little.
    I injured my knee joint 7 years ago because I was careless while running (downhill, concrete...etc). Since my connective tissue was damaged I would get inflammation after 5 km or so, my knee would start to hurt a lot and would have to stop. The pain would linger for a few days after.
    Doctors advised strengthening the quadriceps since that is the muscle that stabilizes the knee, and the connective tissue I damaged can't really regenerate. Since then I made a lot of progress. I gained significant amount of leg strength, and I can preform exercises such as barbell squats without any problems.

Good luck and keep us updated !

Batch300 likes this.
  10. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

Dependent on what joints / where weakness is, I find Jeff Cavalier Athlean-x YouTube videos really helpful and informative

11. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Speak to a qualified Yoga instructor. Yoga ‘should’ strengthen you and actually avoid dislocations and sprains. However if that’s direction from a doctor then follow their advice.

12. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Quack Quack

On a similar vein albeit no where near your level of discomfort I am about to start Tai Chi classes.
    Something to think about?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice