Accidental discovery - how to have a better shave tomorrow

wintoid

Out of control
I shave first thing in the morning. I go out to work. Often I get home from work and there's a package waiting for me, just below my wife's raised eyebrows.

Sometimes I want to test that package. If it's a razor, I usually wait until the weekend, but if it's a brush, or a soap, I might do a test lather that evening. If it's a soap, I will often do a fake 3-pass shave to test whether the lather can easily be built for 3 passes, and I scrape the soap off using a razor with no blade in it.

All I can say is that it's fairly consistent that the actual shave the following morning is stellar. I can only assume that the fake shave has done some sort of stubble-softening magic. I'd be interested to hear if any other mad people have experienced this!
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I think you might be taking “Simon says” too literal, you mad hatter!

Never observed this myself, then again I have never put three successive layers of lather on my face without actually shaving. Could be that it does soften your skin and/or beard and that you don’t fully rinse it off?

(I can relate to the wife’s eyebrow part, however.)
 

jeepie

Forum GOD!
Related to this Simon, and something I didn’t quite have the cahooners to post (although I did post in mundane news at the peculiarity of posting food pictures only on instagram... I don’t get it... I want to eat it so want to know how to make it) until you very manfully broke the ice; my friend lathers and then washes off the lather without shaving, and then re lathers and shaves. So a similar idea but without the 8 hours in between [emoji897]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Some people lather up and then remove it before lathering again and shaving. There is also the lather up and apply hot towel version before re lathering and shaving. All with the thought that doing so makes the whiskers easier to cut. So the thought is not unheard of.

Bob
 

Mr Mackay

Forum GOD!
Didn't someone once mention it's easier to shave the following day if moisturising your face the night before?

Seem to remember something...
I read a similar advice some time ago (can't recall where exactly)... Someone wrote that using shea or mango butter the night before (or a few hours before the shave) should act as a good preparation for the shave.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
Well found, I reckon there is sense behind this.
Like others have said.
A way to soften the stubble is to use soap and heat. Breaks down the outer layer.
If there is residue after rinsing, soaking in overnight. sounds great.

I have done similar a couple of hours before and that has helped.
As has an hour or so of Argan oil.

Trouble is, I shave in the evening.
Hmmmm
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
If I happen to have a lot of lather left after shaving (rare), I have covered my chin with the excess and just washed it off. The idea being to get some more of the scent on my face.

I have never however lathered up specifically just to wash it off.... That would be insane lol!!! ;-)
 

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Lather, shave and repeat for however many passes you need.
Ideally 2, but shouldn't really be more than 3.

There is no need to look for ways to complicate things any more than they need to be.
 
Top