A surprising mail-call

Discussion in 'Straight Razors (SR)' started by JayGee, Jan 12, 2018.

1. JayGee

JayGee Guru

[​IMG]

Visiting my mum at Christmas, I knew my grandfather straight shaved & I was saying that I'd started using a straight as a hobby.

Apparently in a piece of inherited furniture there was a locked drawer, it was opened from underneath some 20-30 years ago & found to contain my late grandfather's razor. Mum was convinced it would never be thrown out & must be still around.
    We couldn't find it.

This arrived in the post today! :woot:
    A set of 2 wade & butcher 11/16 full hollow with plastic scales, I'm guessing c.1930s?

Actually in remarkably good nick, box has seen better days

[​IMG]

Even hone wear, one of the edges has a couple of small chips, pins are a bit loose.

I'm going to try & get an edge on them using lapping film & try shaving like my grandad.

culcreuch, Thug, Nishy and 13 others like this.
  2. halvor

halvor Esquire

Wonderful razors and wonderful history! Happy shaving, JG!

R181 likes this.
  3. JayGee

JayGee Guru

Thanks, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I open the box.
    I recognised the handwriting so knew what it was & fully expected a piece of rust to be inside, let alone 2 quite decent razors!

lloydrm likes this.
  4. Sid James

Sid James ...

Superb find with some meaningful history behind them, nice one.

JayGee and R181 like this.
  5. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

Congratulations on such a super find. We all should be so lucky to be able to shave with such a lovely heirloom pair of W&B razors. Enjoy your find.

Bob

JayGee likes this.
  6. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

Great story, and I think you are about right with the date. Unusually for W&B, these are shoulderless grind which does make for slightly easier honing. For tightening the pins and assuming you don’t have an anvil or block of metal, lay a decent sized hammer head on a stable surface and locate the pin on an even part of the hammer head, then use a smaller hammer to gently tap the pin until the razor is tight enough to stay open under its own weight. Even something as light as a toffee hammer will do but if you have a ball peen all the better.

JayGee likes this.
  7. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

Nice pair of Wade & Butcher razors, there's quite a large chip on the one blade, you will need much more than lapping film to remove that, don't forget to tell whoever it maybe that's going to remove that chip to tape the spine as you don't want any damage for sure.

JayGee likes this.
  8. JayGee

JayGee Guru

Thanks for the advice Rob, at my work they have a good workshop & one of the larger bench vices has an anvil area.
    Much appreciated, I will go carefully.

9. DudeAbides

DudeAbides Legendary Member

Something that nice and even better, a family heirloom, I'd have restored by someone who knows their way around a straight razor, case too. It will come back better than new. A Gentlemen set like this would look amazing scaled in ivory with brass washers and pins. Congratulations on your acquisition, full class!

~Royce

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    R181 and JayGee like this.
  10. JayGee

JayGee Guru

@JamieM

It is a sizeable chip, I was thinking 12u lapping film to do the job (roughly 2k grit equivalent)? I have 5u also.

Or is it best given to someone who knows what they are doing? I was going to follow an online guide that sets the bevel by honing to an even burr.
    I now know what a decent edge should feel like if my results are bobbins.

11. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

You have a precious pair of heirloom razors. Personally, if I had little to no experience honing a razor I would send them to someone who knows what they are doing. I do not know what vid you watched that suggested "honing to an even burr" but the word "burr" is not in my honing vocabulary. Those razors are not the kind you want to learn on.

Bob

JayGee and JamieM like this.
  12. chris.hale

chris.hale Legendary Member

They're beautiful. I'd love to have my granddad's razor but I think he used an electric. I do have a Tech that belonged to my wife's granddad though.

JayGee likes this.
  13. oscsha

oscsha Veteran

What a lovely find .

JayGee likes this.
  14. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

If you don't want to risk trying the renovation yourself, ill do it for you foc. Send me a message and I'll give you my address.

lloydrm, JayGee, MrK1 and 2 others like this.
  15. JayGee

JayGee Guru

Rob, that is a super offer, thank you.
    I will pm tomorrow as I'm at work today & back late, I should still have your address.
    Best,
    Jon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice