80s Music?

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I like 'Mothers Milk' best, where they were still more metal-funk than the punk-funk they were to become.
I have to agree. Mother's Milk is one of my favorites. Sexy Mexican Maid is a great tune. Another great album of theirs is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan. Check out The Special Secret Song Inside. Great tune. I won't post it here out of respect for the kiddies out there.

Francorelli

Forum fella
Mother's Milk is one of my favorites. Sexy Mexican Maid is a great tune. Another great album of theirs is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan.
Ah, Mother's Milk... some cracking tunes. The Chili Peppers soundtracked some crazy times for me back in the late '80s/early '90s. Looking back though, the glossy production and heavily distorted guitars of MM were a bit of an anomaly for the band, and really masked the genius of the young John Frusciante.

For me, their defining moment was the next album. The lean, muscular swagger of 1991's Blood Sugar Sex Magik is utterly magnificent.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
At the time, I woz a Goth ... so, all that sort of stuff. For classic albums of bands of that ilk which really screams '80s over-production, The Sisters of Mercy 'Floodland' is a gem. 30 years on, there's a couple of names from that period that I was not at all into which today I find myself really appreciating; and that's Tears for Fears and Grace Jones.

jaycey

Forum GOD!
As a young man leaving school and being consumed with independence, alcohol, drugs & women the 80's were a special and very influential part of my life.
I loved (love) music. I could write a book going into how various genres of music had a profound effect on me , that to this day still lives on with great fondness and fantastic memories.

Just an example are Duran Duran that not only made great music, they made some very good videos :eek:

D

Deleted member 30

I love 80's music. My favorite track would have to be 'Love Plus One' by Haircut 100 there is a line in the song that I often use when things don't go to plan. "Where does it go from here? Is it down to the lake I fear".

A period of great music and not so great music. Best Album for me has to be Paul Youngs - No Parlez

The Specials
Dexys Midnight Runners
Level 42
UB40
Curiosity Killed The Cat
The Style Council
Mel & Kim
Kate Bush
Dee - LIte
The list is near on endless...

Tortuga

The Spangle Maker
Just looking at these suggestions will tell you that the 80's was the most musically diverse decade, from junk like Rick Astley to the Jesus and Mary Chain,The Cure, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell,Kraftwerk, the latter gave birth to Electro and Techno, Afrikaa Bambaata, soul sonic crew, Jaun Atkins Derrick May, then there was the goth stuff, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission,spear of Destiny, Killing Joke,This Mortal Coil, Cocteau Twins, pre grunge with Pixies, Throwing Muses, Husker DU,Lemonheads, Manchester scene Joy Division, section25, a certain ratio, New Order, Durruti Collumn.