1 year in, still don't know what kind of razors I like. Help?

R181

Grumpy old man
A month ago, I probably would have thought there was no way I'd try an R41. Having used the Fatip, not so sure I'd rule it out now.
One thing I learned on this forum is that the newer Fatip OC razors are milder than the originals. Depending on the version you have been using it may or may not compare to the R41 of which there are 3 version with the newest being milder iirc.

Are you using the Rockwell with it's most aggressive plate? I found with that plate it is a very efficient razor.

Bob
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
One thing I learned on this forum is that the newer Fatip OC razors are milder than the originals. Depending on the version you have been using it may or may not compare to the R41 of which there are 3 version with the newest being milder iirc.

Are you using the Rockwell with it's most aggressive plate? I found with that plate it is a very efficient razor.

Bob
I definitely have the v2 Fatip, I bought the Piccolo SE new in February. As for the Rockwell, I haven't tried the R5 or R6 plates because I thought that I wanted to use mild, efficient razors. Again, not as sure about that now.
 

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
If you have the 6C/6S then it gives you a good opportunity to try a range of aggressiveness/efficiency plates without trying many different razors. I haven't tried a huge amount of razors but didn't get on with the OC I tried. The Edwin Jagger and Rockwell are my 2 favourites.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I definitely have the v2 Fatip, I bought the Piccolo SE new in February. As for the Rockwell, I haven't tried the R5 or R6 plates because I thought that I wanted to use mild, efficient razors. Again, not as sure about that now.
If you do want to try an efficient razor you have the perfect opportunity with the Rockwell and the #5 or #6 plate. Remember to find the right angle and use just the weight of the razor on the blade. You may be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Bob
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
A month ago, I probably would have thought there was no way I'd try an R41. Having used the Fatip, not so sure I'd rule it out now.
I went through months of being scared of OC razors, and then of very efficient open combs like the R41. It was all completely stupid. If I were to do it all again I'd start with the R41 and then work backwards if I had to. But I'd at the very least start with a Gillette Old Type on a modern handle so it came to around 90g overall. And same goes for the R41 - I'd be using a better and heavier handle.
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
If you do want to try an efficient razor you have the perfect opportunity with the Rockwell and the #5 or #6 plate.
Agreed. As I was trying to stick to milder razors I didn't want to try the R5 and R6, but will give them a try as it seems that I shouldn't have assumed that mild was for me

Edit: poor grammar
 
Last edited:

GoReds

Forum GOD!
Well, not finding what you like was good enough for Bono to write this song.



I would suggest to try an Injector too.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
That's what I'm hoping, but even if I exclude the Krona, I don't see a pattern yet which is why I'm unsure what to do next and thought I should ask for advice.



A month ago, I probably would have thought there was no way I'd try an R41. Having used the Fatip, not so sure I'd rule it out now.
The newest edition is definitely worth a try. A pattern should develop. To be honest it took myself many razors and a fair but of expense, before I realised what I prefer in a razor. In addition the use of straight razors as well as SE blades really spreads perception. Luckily I bought and sold during a time where you may only lose up to 5-10% the value of the product new. If your tastes are somewhat similar to mine, I would suggest as mentioned above the Wolfman 0.74mm OC, Timeless 0.95mm OC, Blackbird SB and the Tatara SB. Reason being the teeth are comfortable in the OC options. It gives you an idea of different audio feedback as well as head geometry. The timeless having the larger and more wider profile but within reasonable parameters IMO. Blade feel differences are apparent. Lots of other variables to discuss as well. One other thing to note as well with the above are the tight tolerances. So really you are getting a clearer idea of what subtle differences can provide.

You also mentioned that you liked the EJ89, I would also consider the EJ89 barley chatsworth. Heavier more ergonomic and looks superb with the diamond patterned, curved handle.
 

HMan

Forum GOD!
I'm probably the odd man out here, but I went a different route when I started. I got a Muhle D89 set and used it for a year until I knew my technique was solid and it was the razor that wasn't for me. I find the Muhle a strange beast in that it's mild, but I think, due to the relatively poor blade clamping, it's aggressive in a way as well.

IMO it made for a great learning razor. From there I went to the Fatip, both OC and SB, and used them for another year until I maxed them out for me. Finding again, after really getting my technique down, they weren't for me either.

The surprise for me was trying vintage Gillette NEW SC, that was love at first try, and haven't found a Vintage Gillette I haven't liked since.

I guess the point being, at least for me, it really took using a razor for quite a while to really get my technique good enough that I could really tell.

I really can't say it would have been better to start with what I find I like now, I actually don't thing so, the challenge of those early razors really was worth it looking back.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
My first year was spent with a Merkur 34c, Astra SPs, an EJ black badger brush, and TOBS cream. I then started to take part in forums and my shaves (and current account balance) went downhill from there.
 
Top