Your Top Pre-Shave Creams?

Jetdoctorbox

Good morning to all wet shavers at “Against The Grain”. I’ve been looking for the ultimate pre-shave cream on the market. I’m currently using the Proraso pre-shave cream which works really well but looking for any suggestions that may be a better choice. I use a Nivea deep cleansing formula in the shower before applying the pre-shave cream and Proraso shaving soap. I’m using a Rockwell 6S razor and experimenting with a variety pack of blades I purchased and using Feather blades at the moment which gives me a pretty comfortable shave. There are so many choices of wet shaving products on the market that it’s almost overwhelming, especially when you are new to this fascinating art. Narrowing my choices down with your help would greatly be appreciated.

beb023

Guru
I'm unfamiliar with pre-shave creams, but as far as pre-shave oils are concerned, I can certainly recommend Bart's Balm and Executive Shaving pre-shave oils; they work flawlessly and are water soluble so they don't gunk-up your razor.

Jetdoctorbox

I'm unfamiliar with pre-shave creams, but as far as pre-shave oils are concerned, I can certainly recommend Bart's Balm and Executive Shaving pre-shave oils; they work flawlessly and are water soluble so they don't gunk-up your razor.
I’ll have to give them a try. Thanks for the tip!

RiverMan

Forum GOD!
I never used to bother with them, but recently have started to use noxema (the one sold in a pot as a preshave by connaughts) when shaving without having had a shower first, and it makes for a pleasant addition. A very very light menthol and camphor scent

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
I never use pre shave i’m on the fence as to whether they work or not.
However when i did use them i found the
Fitjar Island Pre shave bar to be very good although it might have all been in my head.
I also used my own which was my preferred method at that time.
I still have lots of stuff left so might make another batch just for the sake of it lol.

R181

Grumpy old man
Personally, I do not use a pre shave. I had never heard of such a thing until I joined some shave forums years ago. I did try a few and found they did nothing for my shaves except add another step in the process. I have come to the conclusion that if your soap lather is good and so is your shaving technique, you really don't need much else to get a good shave.

Bob

chazt

Forum !
Personally, I do not use a pre shave. I had never heard of such a thing until I joined some shave forums years ago. I did try a few and found they did nothing for my shaves except add another step in the process. I have come to the conclusion that if your soap lather is good and so is your shaving technique, you really don't need much else to get a good shave.

Bob
IMG_7844.jpg