Your coffee brewing method

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Ooh nice. I think I might be on the same forum :)
I think the give away in my own case might be the username...which isn't a million miles away from.... etc

And your goodself?

I did register with the rather prestigious one in the US...which is OK but often goes into such minute and technical detail that it loses me...but I must say I've picked up a few bits and pieces that I might not have otherwise known. I suspect the Americans take their coffee quite seriously.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
Walking through Sainsbury's the other day & saw a Moka Pot which happened to be the cheapest I'd seen. Bought one. Experimenting with warm milk :o_o:

Think someone mentioned that the smell it leaves in the house is amazing. Fully agree - love the smell of coffee!

Cafetiere and hand ground, quality, fresh beans. My girlfriend recently bought one of those awful pod machines..they are terrible! AVOID. If you have guests you all have to awkwardly stand around the machine as it painfully splutters and spits out one small coffee at a time..full of GMO sludge.

R181

Grumpy old man
Used many methods over the years from stovetop and plugin percolators, French press and auto drip coffee maker currently. The best for the scent of coffee brewing were the percolators. With those and the auto drip coffee makers I always added a pinch of salt on top of the coffee grinds before brewing.

The simplest way was making bush coffee. IIRC you brought the water to a boil in an open container which could be a large pot to a clean metal garbage can, added the coffee grinds, let brew then shocked the grinds to the bottom of the pot with cold water. You needed one of these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ary-surplus-immersion-barrel-heater?a=1880898 to make it in a clean metal garbage can. That coffee always tasted good a 0 dark thirty. :D

Bob

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Cafetiere and hand ground, quality, fresh beans. My girlfriend recently bought one of those awful pod machines..they are terrible! AVOID. If you have guests you all have to awkwardly stand around the machine as it painfully splutters and spits out one small coffee at a time..full of GMO sludge.
Agreed, I have a Tassimo that's been gathering dust since I bought my Aeropress.

morr

Forum GOD!
Now that the heat waves are flying in (atleast here in Croatia) I find myself more and more craving a glass of ice cold coffee.
The method that works best for me is slow brew ice coffee. I leave the freshly ground beans in a french press sitting overnight, at room temperature.
Next day I serve it over ice cubes and add milk or more water. I usually make around 500 ml and that lasts me a few days.

Any of you enjoy a nice glass of cold brew coffee?

halvor

a most elusive fish
Now that the heat waves are flying in (atleast here in Croatia) I find myself more and more craving a glass of ice cold coffee.
The method that works best for me is slow brew ice coffee. I leave the freshly ground beans in a french press sitting overnight, at room temperature.
Next day I serve it over ice cubes and add milk or more water. I usually make around 500 ml and that lasts me a few days.

Any of you enjoy a nice glass of cold brew coffee?
Do you start with hot or cold water? I haven't tried it, but it's said that cold brew, i.e. pouring cold water over the ground coffee and leaving it overnight, is tha shiznit, to put it in Snoop terms. (Or was that indeed what you meant?)

morr

Forum GOD!
Do you start with hot or cold water? I haven't tried it, but it's said that cold brew, i.e. pouring cold water over the ground coffee and leaving it overnight, is tha shiznit, to put it in Snoop terms. (Or was that indeed what you meant?)
Yup, cold water (room temperature that is) is the only way to get a sweet cup. Using hot water will result in a bitter cup and that's not what you'd like. The alternative would be pouring hot coffee over lots of ice to shock it down cold and avoid overbrewing the fine particles.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have my aeropress and I really like it.
Long story (won't bore you) but I want to find unbleached filters.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I see that there are a whole bunch of sellers of bleached and unbleached filters.
Also, I have just seen that there are metal ones as well.
I have some questions.

1) Does anyone have any thoughts on the metal ones?
Wouldn't they let particles through more than the paper and so the brewing would continue in the cup?
2) Is there a 'best' maker for metal filters if they are any good?
3) Has anyone tried any unbleached filters?
If so, from what vendor please? Are they as good as the aerobie ones?

Thanks

morr

Forum GOD!
I have my aeropress and I really like it.
Long story (won't bore you) but I want to find unbleached filters.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I see that there are a whole bunch of sellers of bleached and unbleached filters.
Also, I have just seen that there are metal ones as well.
I have some questions.

1) Does anyone have any thoughts on the metal ones?
Wouldn't they let particles through more than the paper and so the brewing would continue in the cup?
2) Is there a 'best' maker for metal filters if they are any good?
3) Has anyone tried any unbleached filters?
If so, from what vendor please? Are they as good as the aerobie ones?

Thanks
Ok, I'm gonna share my exerience. For the unbleached filters you could try and find the Melitta round filters:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Health-Personal-Care/Melitta-Round-Filter-Classic-Brown/B0087ZTUNI
Those are a too big for Aeropress but you can trim them with scissors. Actually, you can do that with any filters :wink:

I had two metal filters, the S-Filter and the Able-like copy from AliExpress. Both are good but I prefer the S-Filter (in the meantime, I lost the AliExpress one). With the metal filter you'll get more oils in your coffee that will affect the taste as in having more body and acidity.
I think I prefer the metal filter over paper ones, but that also depends on coffee. In my experience the metal filter allows for deeper notes to come forward and is better for nice light roast coffee. For darker roasts and cheaper beans, I prefer the paper filters.

I would suggest getting a cheap metal filter from AliExpress and see if that something you'd like to explore further
Hope this helps.

Grarea

Forum Plod
@morr
nice one, thanks.
I see, so it is just more of a personal choice thing then.
Sounds like they work well enough. (the metal ones)

The metal ones do sound interesting.

I wasn't sure about all the various filters available, (the paper ones) I was wondering if it was like when you get cheap toilet paper :)
I shall look around for that make, thanks.

Although, it sounds like there isn't a huge amount of difference and as I am avoiding bleach, metal might just be the way to go to be on the safe side.
I am pretty sure there is no bleach in stainless steel. (Although, I am finding it in most other places)
Thanks for that.