Your coffee brewing method

Number Six

Forum GOD!
After retiring my trusty Il Pavoni a few years ago, it’s been a parade of methods. Aero press, moka pot , Chemex, French press etc. I just purchased a Bonavita 5 cup maker with carafe. Despite a couple of odd design details, eg it’s difficult to empty all the liquid from the carafe, it brews a good cup.
I was looking to be able to have a few cups during my morning routine without reheating. The carafe keeps the coffee hot long enough.
I’ve been running through a bag of Peet’s ground Big Bang. I’ll get back to my own grind now that I have the water/grams ratio worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I've been slumming it recently.
After I broke my wrist, the hand grinder was removed from service for a while and I reluctantly bought ground coffee to use in my Aeropress.
Then just after Christmas, Sainsbury's put their 'Taste the difference, Christmas blend Fairtrade ground coffee' on offer - reduced to clear.
Fearing the worst (Cinnamon flavoured or other mulled wine spices in there) I bought one bag.
I should not have feared. It's a decent coffee. After the first cup I rushed back to Sainsbury's and bought 10 more bags at 50p each. A couple of days later I bought another six (all that was left) when they reduced them to 10p for 227g.
The cast is off my wrist, but the doctor said to take it easy for another couple of weeks.
I will...

Something I have recently found out through experimentation is certain single origin beans benefit from certain brewing methods..for example some Brazilian beans I bought recently tasted much better brewed in a Cafetiere than pour over/ Chemex method.
Javanese beans on the other hand taste much better brewed pour over than Cafetiere ..

The experimentation continues....:hotdrink:

halvor

a most elusive fish
Trying out these beans currently, subscription beans from Denmark. Or Ethiopia, really, Yirgacheffe. Wild Arabica varietals. Smell like yeast and bread dough, very distinct.
62320A0B-443B-40E4-875A-A3D06C92AC1A.jpeg

Brewing method, still pour over. My filter machine broke, have a check for picking out a new as it was covered by warranty, but I can’t find the one I want.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Something I have recently found out through experimentation is certain single origin beans benefit from certain brewing methods..for example some Brazilian beans I bought recently tasted much better brewed in a Cafetiere than pour over/ Chemex method.
Javanese beans on the other hand taste much better brewed pour over than Cafetiere ..

The experimentation continues....:hotdrink:
I suspect it may have as much to do with the roast? But I agree to the extent that when you think you have nailed down the perfect grind, method etc, new beans mean having to go at it again.

morr

Forum GOD!
Trying out these beans currently, subscription beans from Denmark. Or Ethiopia, really, Yirgacheffe. Wild Arabica varietals. Smell like yeast and bread dough, very distinct.
View attachment 36419

Brewing method, still pour over. My filter machine broke, have a check for picking out a new as it was covered by warranty, but I can’t find the one I want.
V60 or?

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I use an old Bodum French Press and a Bodum manual milk frother. And I just found a shop nearby that roasts their beans in Bethel, NY and brings it down to NJ every week. So I know it's fresh. Java Love Bad Ass Blend. I'm really liking it. Before that I was drinking Peet's Major Dickason's Blend. I prefer the Bad Ass by a significant margin. Grinding the beans with a Baratza Virtuoso set on 30.

IMG_0358.JPG

Last edited:

churchilllafemme

Forum GOD!
I don't have really discriminating taste buds for coffee. My setup, which works for me, is bags of beans I buy in bulk, a Braun grinder, and a Krups coffee/espresso drip machine.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Simple Bodum French Press with Brazilian or to be precise Minas Gerais freshly ground in store (Monmouth, London and Gordons, Glasgow for the last two batches)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2025

I do like a cold coffee so at the moment it's a kilner jar in the fridge.

ronald

Loving V60s at the moment, brewed with the Scott Rao method:

V60s are typically associated with light-medium roasts but I find that dark roasts work really well too (brewed at a lower temp)