1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your best/worst wetshaving purchase of 2016

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Darkbulb, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Redd

Redd A Right Member

Agreed. Good lather - but the scents, not so good. Yeah I know, mileage varies like a Volkswagen emission claim.

2. Well I haven't bought that much this year...however that doesn't mean I haven't acquired more than expected haha:giggle::confused:

Best: 1.Zenith boar brushes..simply outstanding right out of the box and really well priced.
    2.Stirling soaps..full of tallow and produce very good lather, slick and protective.
    3. Wunderbar slant ...aggressive but gives me a frighteningly close shave just make sure you move your lips, nose and ears out of the way.

Worst:

Ladas Blades...now wait a minute...these blades are actually very good as are most of the Russian blades..but I got a batch with QC issues that literally had no shaving edge on them...but still without a shaving edge they are better than Derbys!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Boojum1, Rowlers, OJ82 and 1 other person like this.
  3. N_Architect

N_Architect Legendary Member

Best, hardware: Blackbird DE.
    Worst, hardware: Asylum RX.

Best, software: AoS after shave lotion, OSP + Wickham soaps.
    Worst, software: Some OSP and Wickham scents.

Boojum1, Nishy, OJ82 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bizzyberry

Bizzyberry Legendary Member

Best Razor: Ikon El Jefe
    Best Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
    Best Soap: Cella (I have some P&B Baskerville under the Christmas tree so it remains to be seen which is better)

The worst thing I bought was Taylor of Old Bond pre shave oil, it does work OK but it so damn hard to clean up after I can't be bothered using it sometimes.

I notice a few others have mentioned a Shick L1, I got two of these a black one and a brown one, and if had not got the El Jefe the Schicks would have been my best buy, firstly because they were my first SE and are noticeably better than any of my DE razors to shave with and secondly the brown L1 was a NOS one complete with some Shick II blades for not very much.

Boojum1 and OJ82 like this.
  5. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

I am just going to generalize my experience in buying shave gear. For me the worst thing is to be disappointed in the performance of a costly item and in that there have been numerous occasions where I was just underwhelmed by them. For me the best thing is to be more than pleasantly surprised by the performance of an inexpensive item that is performing well above what it's price would indicate it had any right to do. To date there have been more of the later than the former. I guess it is a matter of expectations.

Bob

Redd, Bizzyberry and OJ82 like this.
  6. Worst: Muhle Sandalwood shaving soap; Muhle Sea Buckthorn shaving soap; Muhle Aloe Vera shaving soap. Anyone discern a pattern here? ATT S1 -- weak sister to my Merkur 39c; Merkur Progress -- again, didn't hold a candle to the 39c.
    Best brush: The little super badger from Executive Shaving. The 45mm loft is perfect for digging into soaps and lathering like a rabid French Mastiff.
    Best razor: Merkur 39c. Surprise!

7. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Best pieces of hardware: Wolfman OC (0.74mm) and Timeless OC
    Worst piece of hardware: SV lathering bowl

Best pieces of software: Amouage Epic Man, P&B Obsidian and MdC vetiver
    Worst pieces of software: C&E Sienna soap (unlatherable)

Boojum1 and Bizzyberry like this.
  8. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

It's such a pity. It smells soooo lovely, but I'd get better lather from a rock. I would bin it or PIF it, but it sits in its lovely wooden bowl and once a month I have a good sniff and dream of what it could have been... Maybe a candidate for a Wickham 1912 custom scent...
    It was the first hard soap I ever bought and for quite some time I couldn't figure out where my technique went wrong... :rolleyes:

Just had another sniff.. Damn, it's nice... :cry:

Bizzyberry, Nishy and Rowlers like this.
  9. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

I'd be keen on that! I also liked Sienna rather a lot but my skin couldn't handle the cream or aftershave. I haven't tried it since mid-2012, mind you.

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  10. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Best:
    Software - Mr Perfume Oils - Stunning scents for peanuts...
    Hardware - RazorRock Hawk, simply an outstanding shave for the money.
    Worst:
    Hardware - FaTip Black Grande - CBA with aligning the blade and even then the shave was nothing special...
    Software - Not bought any full size, but I Coloniali Rhubarb sample was fairly poor!

Boojum1, Nishy and Bizzyberry like this.
  11. Quique

Quique Forum GOD!

Best:

Jabonman Eufros Premium
    Whickham 1912

Worst:

TOBS Sandalwood

Boojum1 and N_Architect like this.
  12. dowsing

dowsing Guru

Can you please post a link to Mr Perfume oils? @Rowlers

13. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Best Hardware:
    - Mervyn Cadman C4 Purple Rain shave brush
    - Backbird new razor (85mm)
    Worst Hardware:
    - excellent shaving brush but not exactly "me"

Best Software:
    - Fitjar Islands Slåtterøy cream
    Worst Software:
    - Caswell Massey After Shave Balm when purchased to be used as shave cream (will read label next time)

Boojum1 and N_Architect like this.
  14. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

Best - Wardonia All Metal silver plated found at car booty - my best DE by far. They got the geometry perfect.

Worst - Executive Shaving "Bravehead" - The poorly wrought screws on the post ate through two handles until I wedged it in a 99p Chinese razor handle. I wanted to like it, I really did, but it is an aggressive razor - tho' not quite aggressive enough - with a narrow angle of competence and with no redeeming smoothness.

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

DamianJ likes this.