YMMV is boring. Here’s a short test.

Badger

Hi chaps.
upgraded to an Outlaw Elegant which I’m really chuffed to bits with. Previous razors were Parker 76r and Global Shave Club Ice. Parker was heavy (I like that) but doors undid while using so not a success (entirely could be me). GSC ice was 3 piece. Shaves ok. Just ok. Multiple other issues I won’t go into but won’t be buying anything else from them. Both only used with the Astra SP’s I had. Didn’t try other blades

Bought an Outlaw Elegant which has been fantastic so far but only used it with the free Personna platinum it came with.
Here’s what I’m doing. I have Shark Platinum, Treet platinum, Bic platinum (these 3 bought to sample before I got the outlaw) and Astra SP’s all unopened and did 2 shaves with the Personna free ones as a base line.
I will do 2 shaves with all and compare the results.
Same razor, same ARKO soap, same Totex pre shave gel, same brush (I only have one, Haryali £8.50 brush), same technique (it’s only me doing it) and same after shave treatment (Bart’s balm).
Astra SP’s are included as I have them and used them repeatedly.
I won’t be buying any Russian made blades at all in future, personal reasons, but absolutely will be supporting the exact same and hard working suppliers of quality blades that I’ve used before. . if Astra SP’s are the best, I’ll be sure to say so. Your buying choices are your own.
It isn’t a double blinded, random control trial, I have no ethical approval, there is no peer review, data is entirely subjective and qualitative.

I humbly and respectfully suggest that the results I post are read purely as my experience.

Badger

Therefore YMMV
Nope. MMWV (my mileage won’t vary). It’s a set test with the only variable being the blade. It is qualitative as it’s me giving the ratings. The whole idea is that variables are minimised and results are given. ‘YMMV’ is a caveat. It’s a simple ‘GOOJFC’ (get out of jail free card).
I’ll report on difference between blades. Anyone can repeat the experiment and disagree. Lots of ‘YMMV’ on the internet. Boring. Which was the point of the experiment. If ‘YMMV’ is the absolute epitome of any blade review, we should all ignore all blade reviews forever. I’m fine with that but ‘Ymmv’ and just try all of them isn’t a helpful post. I’m trying different blades and sharing the results. Very sorry if that doesn’t include ‘YMMV’.

TobyC

Patriot
Those "results" don't work for anyone but you, and only for the moment. YMMV is an inevitable part of the equation for everyone. Two years from now the same test will result in a different outcome, we all are amazed when we revisit something.

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
I never like to sound to critical and fair play to you for doing the test but as stated above the test can only be for you ( one person )
Two blades i didn’t get along with was the Astra Sp & Personna Blue bug now i like both.
Also i feel blade sharpness is an issue,
First, second, third shave etc etc are pretty much a bit different for me and what results i might get i might not get the same results with a new blade at the same level of using.
Shaving really is very subjective
But Good luck with your research

Wayne

Forum Sod
Good luck with your very personal experiment. I don't know what you are trying to convey here? If you are saying. "This is the best blade for me in this razor." Great! Well done, you have found the best blade for you in that razor, enjoy your shaves with that particular combo. That is exactly what every other shaver on this forum and all the other forums can say about any particular Razor/Blade combo. Everything in Shaving is personal. No two shavers like the same thing. YMMV is not there as some kind of "Get out of Jail card" when reviewing shaving kit. It's there to say "I like this, you may not" It's not boring, it's there because we all enjoy different things and it's the easiest way to say that.
As an absolute test, let's not forget we are not Robots. The Water is going to be hotter or colder, the soap will be different, the Brush will be wetter/dryer. The lather different, The pressure on the face different and the Blade, even from the packet, will probably be sharper or duller than the last blade used. Never lose sight of the fact it is only shaving and Billions of Men and these days some Women with a penis shave their face every day without a care in the World.

Last edited:

ewkist

Forum GOD!
May be boring, but so are those required messages in pharmaceutical advertisements that say "Don't take Fukitol if you are allergic to Fukitol." Should be blindingly obvious but needs to be stated for the willfully obtuse.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can understand the temptation to find objectively the best blade, but as blade choice is so personal it's a fool's errand. I'm prepared to bet that if everyone posted their favourite blade someone would post to say that they didn't like it. If there was one objectively best blade we'd all be using it.

Astra SP are right up there for me, but not everyone likes them.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I can understand the temptation to find objectively the best blade, but as blade choice is so personal it's a fool's errand. I'm prepared to bet that if everyone posted their favourite blade someone would post to say that they didn't like it. If there was one objectively best blade we'd all be using it.

Astra SP are right up there for me, but not everyone likes them.
Astra SP = Meh IMHO

Point proven 😉

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I read mostly good reviews for Astra SP. It was the reason I choose this blade to always have on hand. Like I said, if you put it is a razor like the Barbasol Floating Head, care is advised. If you put it in a Schick Krona, less care is necessary. Just my experience...YMMV LOL!!!