World Cup qualifiers (Football)

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Well, a win is a win I suppose - but where was the clarity that Big Sam has been talking about? A total shambles in terms of who was playing where - Rooney in particular dropping back to the half way line when he was supposed to be playing just behind the centre forward.

Despite his goal, Lallana does not look to be anywhere near international class to me.

Another carry over from Hodgson's regime - when was the last time you saw an England player get on the end of a corner or free kick? I reckon it was back in qualifying for Euro 2016 and even then in one of the early games.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Remember the days of hope? Seeing Shearer and Sheringham upfront with Scholes in support. Now were looking at Kane and Sturridge with Rooney in support. Gone are the days of hope.

flip-68

Forum GOD!
i think it's hilarious the standard of manager and players we have these days. who thought roy was going to be any good? anyone? it's also telling how big sam deferred to rooney in his post match interview - he cant tell him what to do! shame really, as i thought he would come in and be his own man. lucky that penny turned up :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
When the players earn more the manager and everyone is playing for themselves it can never work. Throw in the politics and the game may as well be run as an investment fund.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I watched tonight's England game almost in a sense of stupor after 60 minutes - I could not believe it was that bad. It seemed like such a good opportunity - wife away for a few days, I'd done all I needed to around the house - so off into town, something to eat then a few beers in a generally crowded pub watching what I assumed would be a decent game.

I've watched England since the highlight of 1966 - but have to say tonight's performance was as bad as anything I've seen - it makes you long for the days of Fabio and Sven. Sitting next to a couple of youngsters I'd never met before I tried to explain my frustration in terms of English Rugby a few years ago - in the days when they sometimes enjoyed lots of possession but no finesse. That's the way I look at English football right now, square passes that eventually become passes backwards and end up with the keeper. Where are the players who can run at an angle - and, more importantly, where are the ball players who can spot the run?

Cheesepiece

Stickler
A boring 11 against a boring Slovenia. Southgate should try auditioning rather than perpetuating the norm. Townsend is last year. Hendo is muck. Ross Barkley, Lewis Cook, Theo Walcott (while fit), Charlie Taylor, make some changes. And rooney ...to the bench - fat mercenary (lack of capitalisation deliberate).

MPF9

Forum GOD!
They should be forced to watch a replay of the Match, and each write down an analysis of their and the performance of the Team.
As a Nation, we seem to be better at other Sports than we are at Football.